Hi Guys! New to this site! Need adive on MCDST!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tree, Oct 13, 2007.

1. tree

tree New Member

Hi Guys,

I just joined this site today and need some advice about MCDST. I'm currently studying for a degree in Computer Forensics, but i'd like to expand my computing knowledge further by studying for the MCDST certification exams. I have a decent knowledge of Windows XP but the only problem is that i've no experience supporting users of a desktop operating system and on microsoft.com it recommends that you should already be working in a computing environent with at least 6 to 12 months experience under your belt! I was just curious do you think would someone in my position be able to self study for the MCDST exams? Any sort of feedback would be graetly appreciated! Thanks!

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You should be able to self-study, but I think you would be better off starting with the A+.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can do any exam with self-study methods. That said, I'd agree with Wiz - start out with the A+. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tree

tree New Member

Thanks guys! I'll check that out! :)

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

yep look to go the A+.. N+.. MSDST route. they are all reasonably entry level and you should be good to go with self study and pleanty of hands on practice. Going any further without real world experience would be folly at this point.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I welcome to CF

I agree with whats already been said

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. tree

tree New Member

Thanks for the advice guys! I definately think the A+ route would be the best one for me take. I've did a bit of research on the web and found loads of websites offering A+ online courses, but i'm unsure of which one to take. Anyone have any advice on which courses, books, etc are best to buy? Thanks for the help :D

9. Drewesq

Drewesq New Member

I used the Sybex book which is comprehensive to say the least, you wouldn't want to drop it on your foot!

It can be a bit of a difficult read but I don't think they left anything to chance, I was reading it for about 6 months before taking my A+ tests and passed fairly comfortably. I am now about half way through Mike Meyers Network+ and I am finding it easier to digest.

I would like to know where I can get a server+ book from as Amazon doesn't seem to have one.

Drew

A+