Hi guys/girls

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AlphaMale, Dec 4, 2007.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

Finished Uni 2 years ago BSc Multimedia Technology & IT Studies and looking to learn a little more and keep up to date with technology before it leaves me :(

I currently work in IT doing web design and web development, graphic design, general IT support and teaching fellow workers basic IT skills to aid them with their work (company intranet). So as you can tell it's pretty varied from day to day, this is fine for now but I feel when the time comes and I want to step up the ladder or concentrate in one specific field I won't have enough experience to get that next job.

I enjoy web design but have noticed there is more money in development (which I also quite enjoy).

I have a friend who works in IT support and is earning £300 a day contracting for a very big firm. This is very appealing and it has crossed my mind to develop my IT support skills.

:blink ... I am confused I guess.

I am looking to start with a CIW course (paid for my my employers 8) ):

CIW v5 Foundation (Making me CIW Associate)

CIW Site Designer (Making me CIW Professional)

CIW E-Commerce Designer (Making me Master CIW Designer)

If I like what I have on to:

CIW Server Administrator

CIW JavaScript Fundamentals
    CIW Perl Fundamentals

I'm hoping the above and 3 years experience in the 'trade' and the BSc will bring me some luck. I did think about diving straight in with a MCTS but I'll research here a little more first.

I look forward to more reading.
    (I have been viewing the forum for a good couple of months now)

Certifications: BSc Multimedia Tech & IT Studies
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need many years of experience and good contacts to start picking up contracts like that.

Your cert plan looks good. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

This friend graduated 4 years ago, worked for a company in IT support for 2 years then took a better role with the police. He's been in contracting for just over a year and had made 3 moves from companies (better money).

Sparky, how long do you think each CIW module could be achieved? keeping in mind I am working full time and this would be done during 3 evenings per week? I am guessing the first one should pass pretty quick but how long do people generally take for example to complete the 'CIW Site Designer'?
    (I am guessing I'll have an answer based on it 'depends on my knowledge to start with')

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Difficult one mate. I don’t have any experience of the CIW modules as I’m studying towards the MCSE.

Have you looked at the objectives for the module? Might give you a better idea to what’s involved and what areas you may not have covered from your commercial experience.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

Yes I've taken a look at what is involved with the foundation level and the site designer and it all rings a bell (almost every day life at the office) so I'd imagine a quick brush up 'should' be all I need ... I'm sure we all get rusty :biggrin

I'll give it a go and see where it takes me and how long it takes me.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

If you want to be a Web developer, the CIW courses are pretty decent. However, they don't hold much traction in the admin/support arena. If you want to do IT support, have you considered the A+?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advise, I have looked into the A+ course and it looks pretty interesting. After my CIW exams I'll be looking at either a Microsoft cert or a A+ cert. (It will depend on my circumstances next year really)

I'd like to have good all round abilities in a few fields (as I'm doing at the moment but at a higher level), it will also enable me to understand and cooperate with fellow workers a little easier when assessing a problem etc.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685