Hi from Suffolk

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by shieldsie, Nov 29, 2008.

1. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

hello all, ive just signed up with one of the dreaded TP's. right or wrong i feel its right for me and hope to work in a low end job in the next 12 months taking a forecast dramatic pay cut but happiness and fulfillment is worth more than money.
    question though MCSE 2003 or equivlant enterprise 2008?
    im doing enterprise, not many TPs offer it but i thought best to keep up to date in IT and not do the older quals but what will employers want? obviously i wont be qualled for atleast two years so thinking will change.
    but what does every one else think the guys in the thick of it?

WIP: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

If you've no experience then enterprise could well be the worst thing to do.

If you search these forums you'll see we get these same questions many, many times.

The answer is simple - without the experience of working in a live environment you won't get very far. Microsoft even say you shouldn't be doing the MCSE unless you've at least a year in a server environment. Do you really think a large corporate is going to let you loose on their systems just because of the cert ?

Please, go do some serious research on the career you're trying to get into.

I'm not trying to take you down but I have been in IT for 10 years and employed technical people. I wouldn't touch anyone without relevant experience regardless of their certifications.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

what i hope is to get a 1st/2nd line support job after doing about 9-12months study earning around 18k gaining experiance whilst i continue to study fo the higher microsoft quals i dont expect to earn over 25k for atleast 3 years am i being over optimistic or realistic i thought the latter but honestley dont know

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Forget salaries. Employers will take into account work experience.

For the MCSE studies Microsoft say :

Candidate profile

Candidates for the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification typically have at least one year of experience implementing and administering both network and client operating systems. They are knowledgeable about the planning, design, and implementation of Microsoft Windows server solutions and architectures in mid-sized to large companies.

See here

Ist line helpdesk jobs are in the range £12 - £18k and even with certs but without experience you're likely to be at the lower end.

Again, read the forums. You would be far better off trying to get into an IT job now (and it'll be hard with no experience) even if it's just helping out in a computer shop. You really do need to build up experience and I can't stress that strongly enough.

Then start on the CompTIA A+ and N+ exams before you get anywhere near anything to do with MCSE.

I understand you may want the "security" of a TP and I'm not going to even get into that debate but will say you could do what I've outlined above, combine it with self study, save yourself a load of money and get a better more rounded background in IT.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

i had a fairly good look at peoples opinions on TP's and self study and my honest opinion was that self study was gonna cost around the 2k mark with no tutorial support or practical classrooms. to me that seemed expensive as i fell i get so much more on a course and can still by a cheap tower or two and build and set up my own network and play. surely the more knowledge i can get will only ampify my reading and playing and help me get in low end jobs with aview to proving myself and working up the ladder so that 2-4 years after getting my higher quals i get i job relevant to the quals.
    Abit nervous that ive wasted 4.7k but also think that its upto me whether or not its wasted and wether self study or course no one way is better only cheaper. experiance will always be king but ive gotta get my foot on the ladder first.

6. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

sorry didnt explain that well.
    A+ then N+, MCTS vista config, then onto the mcsa/mcse equiv parts.
    wouldnt dream of starting without doing comptia first and intend on taking my time and enjoying it. i probably will get some experiance as my broyher-in-law runs a ICT in schools buisiness so should be abl eto sit on shoulder after A+ and N+.
    i want and expect to start at the begining but in reality cant afford to drop below18k as im closer to double that at the moment dependant on hours.

7. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

im rubbish at this forum lark as i keep forgetting to say things.
    Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about this it is really appreciated. coz i am a complete novice.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a plan mate however you *might* have to go below £18k in your first job unless your bro-in-law can help you out.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

yeah get the feeling your right dont know if i can go under 18k but needs must to get on so will do what it takes. am happy to struggle if it eventually gets me where i want to be. time will tell.

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

I'm with a TP mate and its been brilliamt, well worth every penny.

I came into the industry as a complete novice and gained work after my A+, with the help from my TP. Now I'm up there with the best of them earning quite a good salary.

OK my first job was on 16k, and I stayed with that for a few months and progressed my career as I gained more qualifications.

Experience isn't everything, but it does help as you go through the course.

MrM