Hi from Missy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Missy, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi all, I was told to come to this site from a microsoft site, so i hope you will be able to help me.
    I fix one thing and then I get another box :( .
    I have only had this computer for a month, a friend gave to me, he only used it for music and the odd email. He never up dated it, so I have had a month of stress :cry: I have added Ad-ware and AVG, I will have to get back to you all in a few minutes as my son :twisted: wants to use the phone.
    By for now Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome to CF, MIssy - do you have any plans to get involved in any certs or IT training ? Also, if you give us a little more info on the problem you're having (in the relevant forum, if you could), I can assure you the Guys here will do all they can to help you out .

Wow, that sounds like our reputation truly precedes us - you surely don't mean the MS site itself do you ? Was it some MS-related site maybe ? I mean, I know we're good, but I can't imagine Uncle Bill is using us as his tech support for any issues they can't figure out ....:biggrin

Anyway, enjoy CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Missy,

have fun.........
    Kat:D

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  4. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi Kate
    Thanks for leaving your message,I was recommened to this site from a microsoft site were I was trying to get help, so I am hoping this site will be able to help me as I am quite new to computers, done the Clait and ECDL courses but to be honest when I went on line 3 weeks ago 'which feels like 3yrs' thats when I had all the problems, I think I am doing well so far, I think if you dont know just ask.
    But sometime you get experts telling you things and you think 'What' the hell is he talking about :ohmy so I hope there are some nice people on here who can explain to us thick O's
    So thanks again I will put you on my duddy's list if thats alright.
    Take Care
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Missy,

yeh no prob, ask away!!
    If i dont know, someone else will.. Thats the thing about IT, you cant know everything, but if you can find find out.... thats the key!!!
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Missy. Welcome to CertForums. Hope we can help you out. I've already responded to several of your posts regarding your rather dodgy computer.

Generally malware doesn't "just happen" on a computer. You get it (usually) by either opening an e-mail attachment containing a virus or you visit a website designed to impart the virus. I suspect that either your friend may have given you the computer already infected or someone in your house hold may have opened an attachment on an e-mail that contained a virus.

We've already given you several pieces of advice regarding how to manage your PC. I assume it is running some version of the Windows operating system. You said your friend had never updated anything which is pretty bad since it means your computer is extremely vulnerable to threats. It also means that completely updating your operating system's patches and hotfixes will take a great deal of time if your Internet connection is simple dial up.

One thing about your "help" messages; it would be extremely helpful if you were able to write down exactly what the error messages and dialog boxes say and then post that information along with what you were doing right before you got the error. If your request is too vague, it might be hard for us to get a good picture of what exactly is happening with your computer.

I hope that once the current crisis has passed, you'll feel free to explore the boards and also to tell us a bit more about yourself. BTW, could you post the actual URL of the site that recommended us to you? I'm sure we'd all be curious.

(I don't mean to be insulting, but not everyone knows what a URL is. Simply put, it looks something like this:

http://www.certforums.co.uk

I apologize if you already knew that but thought if you didn't, I wanted to avoid adding any confusion).

Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum Missy.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums, Missy! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+