Hi from Ireland! I need some advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jpgetty, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jpgetty

jpgetty New Member

Hello people. I found this forum yesterday and it looks very interesting and helpful.

I've been unemployed for the last two years and am considering self-studying for the CompTIA A+ cert. I have no previous IT experience and know as much about computers and computing as the average man/woman in the street.

If I was to study for, say, one hour a day how long would it take me to pass the A+ exam?

If I get the cert how easy is it to get an entry-level job? What sort of work might a newcomer be doing? How much training are you normally given and what's the pay like for entry-level jobs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Here's the thing. Every individual studies at a different pace. Some go very fast because they have the knowledge and experience, others go slower because they don't have the knowledge or experience. From what I see is that you are a beginner looking to start a career in IT. The A+ exam is one big thing to study because it consists of two exams. Software and Hardware. The book such as the Mike Meyers All-in-One is a very big book and full of information. My recommendation would be to get a hold of it and start studying and in time you will be able to answer that question for yourself. Having the A+ cert is a great way to start, it gives you a good base to work with, and progress your knowledge in IT and later specialize in something such as security, messaging, etc.

If you attain the A+ certification, it will definitely look good on your CV, however it will not guarantee you a job. Reason being is because in IT it is hard to get that first job because of lack of experience. Employers usually tend to go for people a little more experienced. With that to say it doesn't mean its impossible. There are plenty of people on here including me who had trouble getting their first job, but we never gave up and ended with a job even with no experience.

Usually every new IT professional starts out with basic job such as level 1 help desk, desktop support, etc. Each company has their way of giving titles to specific jobs. Example the company I work for calls my title desktop support, when I was doing a stage, I was doing the same job but only at a different company and the title was junior system administrator.

The type of work that you usually would do as an entry level IT guy is help desk which answering calls where it requires you to remotely troubleshoot the users system. Some jobs might be supporting user in the company like ghosting pc's, changing toner for printers, basic troubleshooting of pc's, etc. Unfortunately it is never certain until you get the job and the employer explains what your tasks are.

For training, again it depends on the company policy. When I first started, I had 2 weeks training. My friends work at a different company and they had 3 weeks training. It is different in each company. Of course I don't have much experience in that area as some members of this forum so they might be more of a help in this question.

As for pay, unfortunately we don't get paid as well as before. However I don't live in the Ireland so I wouldn't be able to tell you the salary. I am sure someone will answer this question shortly.

Anyways good luck with the studies and if you need any help you know where to ask. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats good advice

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Prof gives fine advice, with one minor correction: the A+ exam is no longer split into Hardware and Software.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!