Hi folks !

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 14, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi folks,

Came across your forum whilst searching around for MCSE and ITIL stuff and as you looked like a friendly helpful bunch I'd thought I'd sign up ! :biggrin

So, I've been in IT for 10 years. Had my own support company which has gone bust and am back in the job market at 46

My problem is that although I have a fair bit of experience I'm not getting interviews as I don't have the necessary bits of paper to prove the knowledge. Also, as I've run my own Company I'm getting treated like I was self employed as references are a problem. Hence I've started some MCSE self study (Server 2003 Core Requirments) and thought I would tackle the ITIL Foundation too. In the past I started a Masters degree in Information Systems Management but had to give the course up half way through.

Budget is non-existant as I don't have any income coming in so any help you guys can give would be great !

Cheers !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

If you are going to look for your first IT job for a while you should lay off the MCSE as that certification is supposed to show that you have on the job experience in managing & maintaining servers in a multi-site envornment.

Microsoft actually recommend a year to 18 months in this type of position before attempting the MCSE.

If you have done this then go for it.

The first types of IT certs you should go for are compTIA A+, comptIA N+ and MCDST these certs can be done with little or no experience. Then look at the MCSA before the MCSE.

You do not have to go with a company to get these qualifications as they can be expensive and crap, you can self study this getting the recommended reading material and practicing and understanding the concepts before taking the exam or exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:, and yep! spot on advise from GBL.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The OP has 10 years experiance mate :biggrin

What kinda jobs are you going for UKDarkstar?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your still young at 46.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

err, yes, exactly ! :D

Worked on NT4, 2000, 2003 Servers but experience limited on Exchange/SQL. I sort of stopped my training and keeping knowledge up to date a few years back as I was employing guys who were qualified.

I'm still quite happy to set up a server/domain etc with AD.

We provided support from small to SME size companies and I dealt with speccing equipment/service and project implementation as well as overseeing the engineers and pitching in when required.

I think my biggest worry is that there may be gaps in my knowledge so hopefully the certification process will help plug those and speed up the chances of a getting a job.

Looking for IT Manger or Support Desk Manager (or possibly business anaylst) with some hands on but ideally running a team. Anywhere from Honiton to Portsmouth and up as far as Winchester/Salisbury.

Also was a Microsoft Registered Partner so have done tons of courses via that.

Thanks for the positive comments guys - I don't feel "washed up" (not yet anyway) but the job market has certainly changed since I last had to prepare a CV !

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to see and hear as you're definately taking and have the right attitude. Keep plugging away as something would pop up when you least expect.

Look at job web sites, www.jobsite.co.uk and place your CV on there refreshing it every few days. i.e like changing things around as this way your CV would remain new to scanning potential recruiters. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As you are on a limited budget you could purchase the MS Press books (and perhaps a few additional books) and take the exams when you are ready. You get vouchers with some of the books that will give you a discount for the exams.

Also I assume that you have some old servers to use from your previous job. I landed three old servers when a company I used to support went bust. They are only Pentium 3 servers but they are a high enough spec to run Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 so it was perfect to use for my MCSE studies. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh thanks. I've got a couple of machines and the software from our Action Pack. Still got access to the MS Partner site so there's some e-learning on that and also get 45% off some books at CBL.

13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!