Hi Folks!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MGartley, Mar 18, 2008.

1. MGartley

MGartley New Member

Hi guys, been on the forum reading the great responces for a couple of days now so I thought I'd join. I'm also looking for a bit of advice regarding the 'correct' cert order to go for. I'm 25 and like most on here been hands on with PC's for years but have no qualifications to prove it. I've worked in sales since I was 18 apart from 1 great year where I worked as 1st line technical support before the company went into administration.

From what I've read Comptia A+ then Network plus seems to be the best starting point. As I still work in field sales at the moment, at which point can I realisticly be considered for a 1st line support role?

Would it be best to get both A+ and N+ before atempting a sweeping career change?

What I would also like to know is, in your opinion what certs will hold me in good stead/career prospect for the future couple of years? i.e what to study towards afer completing N+ if looking to go down the 2nd/3rd line support role?

Sorry for such a big first post an thanks in advance

Martin
    Glasgow

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

You might want to look around *now* for possible work changes to give you some idea of what to expect.

Just having the certs will give you an advantage certainly, but they aren't a guarantee of a job!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, that's right.

Welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

as said a cert wont get you a job but it will make you stand out to an employer. Unfortunately experience is what really counts, its getting the real world experience thats the hardest part.

I have a few IT qualifications and am trying to get some certs but I lack the experience and that is what is holding me back.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF. Enjoy the path to fulfillment

WIP: A+, MCAD
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good advice given above.
    Welcome to the forum… :sunny

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can realistically be considered NOW. Certifications can give you an advantage over your competition... but they don't mean that you're qualified to do a job. Nor will getting them guarantee that you'll get a job.

No... start applying now. If you get your A+ before you get your first IT job, add it to your CV and keep looking. Then, start studying the Network+. If you get it before you get your first IT job, add it to your CV and keep looking.

Let's say you wait until you get the A+ and Network+ to start looking. If you do that, then you are absolutely guaranteed to not get a job until you've gotten your certifications.

Let's say you start applying NOW. The best case scenario is that you will get a job BEFORE you complete your A+ and/or Network+. The worst case scenario is that you are no worse off than if you had waited to apply for jobs until getting the A+ and Network+.

So... why not start looking NOW? :)

The MCDST is a good certification to pursue after Network+. As you build experience, you can go after other certifications. The certifications you should pursue depends on the experience you get. If you begin to work with servers, the MCSA would be a great certification to pursue. If you begin to work with Cisco routers, the CCNA would be a great certification to pursue. If you start working with SQL, there are a number of SQL-based certifications to pursue. If you begin to work with Linux, then there are a number of Linux certifiations to pursue. As you advance, you'll begin to shape your career.

Keep in mind that you don't want to be overcertified, where your certifications don't match your experience - that's somewhat of a red flag to many employers. As I mentioned before, get certifications that relate to what you're doing or starting to do. It won't do you any good to prepare in advance for what you *might* be doing in 2 years by getting a whole bunch of certifications before you've even held your first IT job.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!