Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Athelstan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Athelstan

Athelstan New Member

Hi everyone,

Just joined certforums and I suspect I'm in a similar position to lots of newcomers in wondering where on earth to start with Microsoft certification, as MCSE (or related) seems to be a pre-requisite to most of the IT jobs in my area.

I was an IT professional for 20 years - started out in tech support (mainly legacy mainframe, data storage and disaster recovery) but finished up in management for too long - and after a few months sabbatical I want to get back on the technical track again in something that's not based on 1980's technology :biggrin

Anyway, self study is the way to go for me, but I'm not quite sure where (and at what level) to start.

Time to start searching these forums!

All the best,

Ath.

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome! :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. computerian

computerian Bit Poster

Welcome!!!!:)

6. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Howdy!

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Not sure where to tell you to start... I guess a lot of it would depend on what jobs you'd like to aim for and what hands-on technical experience you've had despite being in management for so long. :) If you've got Windows server administration experience, then the MCSA/MCSE might be a fine place to start.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Athelstan

Athelstan New Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :thumbleft

Luckily the management side of things has only been for the last 5 years so I can still manage to find my way around Linux/Solaris/Windows servers and I've been free-lancing on PC fixes/rebuilds for a while for friends and family on a small scale to keep my hand in.

However, everyone who's interested in IT knows that things change so rapidly that if you're off the pace for a year, you might as well be 5 years behind :(

Just bought 3 books for the CompTIA A+/Network/Security exams for a refresher and it really shows just how much things have changed technologically, even though the concepts are still the same...

Although, when did PS/2 mice and keyboards suddenly become classed as Mini-DIN?

Good night all,

Ath.