Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by shep, Mar 31, 2005.

1. shep

shep Bit Poster

Hi there

Thought I would say hi as this is my first time on here.

I have just been made redundant after six years working as a network support engineer for a company that was always having a tough year, but promised a training budget next year. I'm sure that is a familiar tale.

Anyway, I blagged my first position in IT and haven't been formally trained or certified since so here I sit with bags of experience but a very blank area on my CV where professional qualifications should be.

At the moment I am studying towards an A+, with the plan being to get the A+ and an N+ before the severance pay runs out, then getting a job and part time studying for MCSE, CCNA. At the moment all the A+ stuff seems pretty familiar, having had my hands on most of it at one time or another, but I hope you chaps will be able to assist if I hit any dead ends.

On the personal front, I have been a full and then part time DJ over the years, so if any musical threads kick off in the off-topic forums I shall look forward to participating.

Cheers

Dave

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, ITIL Foundation v3, HP Server Accredited
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Shep, welcome to CF. Sorry to hear about the redundancy, hope you get sorted out soon. If you need any help just shout, there are always people about who are willing to help. Are you self studying?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. shep

shep Bit Poster

For six years I have toyed with the idea of self studying but I guess I wasn't built that way, so I have signed up with Scheidegger for an A+, N+ and MCSA path. As it transpires I am effectively self studying at the moment as I am studying quicker than than the Scheidegger/Royal Mail dream team can get info to me. I really signed up as I know what my attention span is like and if my bank account is slowly leaking money it will incentivise me not to move on to another hobby after a few weeks!

I do however plan to self study for CCNA if I keep finding myself ahead of the game, as I did a lot of CCNA Intro study last year when I found myself with a free fortnight while waiting for BT to get their fingers out at a call centre our company was setting up. Thought it might be wise for a desktop engineer to have a bit of comms knowledge at a site with thin clients, Citrix, IP telephony and a hell of a lot of super fast data links!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, ITIL Foundation v3, HP Server Accredited
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi Dave, welcome to CF.

As phil said, just shout if you need anything. Out of interest, what type of music do you play? I was a big techno/Drum and Base head a few years ago. Still love the D&B, not listenin to much techno these days. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum Shep your very welcome :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Dave - a warm welcome to CF from me too. Thanks for stopping by :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Shep. Welcome to the forum. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+