Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by drummermandan02, May 29, 2008.

1. drummermandan02

drummermandan02 New Member

Hi.
    I have been looking around this forum for a good few months now, and only now when I tried to log-in (I thought I was already a member) it failed, so I have just registered! :rolleyes: lol. All good now!

Just an introduction really, to let people know what I aim to do and where I aim to be in the future!

I have been 'messing' around with computers for years and years now, and only in the last few years have my skills greatly increased from what they were. I feel I have a bit of knowledge in alot of things but not into a great detail. Its been recently that I have really wanted to investigate programming and web-desgin and creation alot further. I find it hard to 'self-teach' so would need to get myself on a course where I can be tought how things work. The other pro I have with tutor lead training is that I always get the urge to ask 'why' and 'how' questions, and of course with a book there is no-one to answer me (apart from net forums) but still not as easy.

I have seen a course that covers alot of stuff involved with web-design and development. I am in Wellingborough, Northants and there is nothing around here as for courses (nothing I have found, if there is please let me know!) so I would have to travel to London or elsewhere. The course is at Bickenhall College in London and the course titles are, Web Design & Web Database Programming (ASP.Net) and PHP Database Programming with MySQL Database.

Code:
     http://www.bcoc.co.uk/web_design/training_courses_london/web_design_courses_london.aspx 
    Code:
     http://www.bcoc.co.uk/web_design/training_courses_london/linux_php_programming_courses.aspx 
    Those courses seem to cover everything I would want to learn at the mo and from there I would self-teach (I would have the basics covered) some qualifications.

Does anyone know anything about this college? Is it any good? Anyone studied there before? Any info that you could give regarding BCOC (Bickenhall College of Computing) would be of value to me.

If anyone thinks there is anything else out there that would be of more value to me then please share with me and let me know. I was looking at the CIW courses and qualifications, but have heard that they are not looked upon as bein that 'great' over here in the UK whereas they are in the US. This true?

Please any opinions that would help me please share.

Anyway I think that is a big enough intro.
    Look forward to talking with you in the future! :biggrin

Certifications: none
    WIP: none as of yet, but soon...
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you have trouble self-teaching, you'll likely encounter difficulties at some point in your IT career, where you're constantly having to learn new things. IT companies don't typically pay a bunch of money for you to take training courses, nor do they typically allow you paid time off to go take those courses. So why not get over that hurdle and figure out how to do it before your IT career begins?

Just a suggestion. :)

CIW isn't really valued here in the States either. To be a Web designer, you need to know how to design Web sites. A certification can't prove that. An e-portfolio can.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5