Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Brooksy80, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Brooksy80

Brooksy80 Bit Poster

Evening all,

Just found this board and i'm really excited by the wealth of information available.

Initially i'm looking for opinions and advice concerning what I should do next to progress my career in IT.Hopefully in the future i'll be of assistance to newcomers. Apologies if this is a bit long but i'd like you fully understand my position.

After working on 2nd line Support for the last 5 years I have a solid (but not great) knowledge of W2K and XP desktops. I have no server experience.

My job is being off-shored at the end of the year, which is a blessing as it gives me a kick up the back side to change my life whilst rec'g a nice payoff!! :). I will then be on 3 months gardening leave. I'm planning on moving up to London so i'd like to make myself as marketable as possible.

I've moved back in with my parents so I can save plenty of cash and i've stopped drinkingy so I can really focus on upskilling and self-improvement, something i've never bothered with in the past. My job never requires overtime so I only work 35 hours a week. This means plenty of time to concentrate on studying.

I'd like to go down the self study route and set my own lab up at home. What would you recommend studying first? I'm guessing 70-270 followed by 70-290? How about Citrix? Many people have mentioned getting skilled in this.

I may be able to spend a few hours each week with my server support team, Exchange team or Citrix team. I may divide the time between the various teams. What do you think?

Many thanks in advance guys

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I find it difficult to suggest a course of action, as clearly, with 5 years of 2nd line behind you, you are not really in a "starting out" position.

The most important question is "What do you want to do?". Or - where do you see yourself in a few years? This, more than anything else, will determine what certs you go for.

If you have the time it might not be a bad idea to collect A+ and Network+ certs. They should be easy, and will provide a base to build on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Hi
    Your probably in a better position than most people as you have already got the experience as hbroomhall said. As well as the A+ and N+ you could also look at learning Linux setups perhaps or start the Cisco certs if you want to go down that path..
    What ever you do this is a great place for advice :thumbleft so welcome aboard!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with Harry too :)

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As usual, I also agree with Harry. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I have'nt got a clue, so i'll go with harry, but WELCOME Brooksy

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Brooksy80

Brooksy80 Bit Poster

Thanks all.

Sounds daft but i've never heard of A+ or N+ before. Could someone explain to me why I should do these rather than go down the mcse route

Cheers
    Mark

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They are both entry certs from CompTIA (www.comptia.org) which are recognized world-wide. The main thing about them is that they are vendor-neutral.

OTOH the Microsoft ones are all about Microsoft! Great if that is the way you want to go - but not very useful if you decide to do Cisco networking, for example.

As you didn't really say what you saw as your career path I found it difficult to suggest anything other than these two certs to start with. With your experience you shouldn't find any difficulty with them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Find it a bit odd Brooksy80 that you have 5 years in 2nd Line Support, but have never heard of A+ or N+?
    I could be wrong though, i am after all only human, well thats what i used to tell my boss!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house