Hi everyone, new member, similar questions!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by inzi38, Jan 22, 2008.

1. inzi38

inzi38 New Member

Hi everyone, am delighted to have found you - have been desperate for advice and expertise. Hopefully it would be ok, if some of you had any answers or suggestions to my queries?

I am looking at a career change to IT. Whilst I currently work with IT (and have a positively ancient, highly theoretical, Computing BSc, dated 2001) it is not in an especially technical role. I work with video software mainly tailored to my field, whilst also using the standard Microsoft Office packages. In a previous role I also had limited exposure to SQL Server 7.

I am particularly interested in getting into Database Administration, databases and data being something I have been interested in long before I began my degree. Further down the line the possibility of Business Intelligence/Analysis looks very interesting to me although I am uncertain as to the specifics that this role may entail or indeed how to begin towards such a role!

I was wondering if people might have any advice as to a possible career/exam path I might opt for based on the paragraph above?

If I studied for an MCDBA or an MCITP (both with all necessary pre-requisites) would my lack of experience proclude me from certain roles?

Is it still worth studying for an MCDBA or should I concentrate on newer certs?

As I have previously stated I am employed and thus would wish to study around my current role - are there any suggestions for good starting points and exams it would be worthwhile studying for?

Are there any ways I can boost my level of experience whilst still in my current job?

Finally, with mortgage and bills to pay, would I be unrealistic, once certified in applying for jobs higher than entry level?

I appreciate that this may be the nth time people have responded to such requests but I would be grateful for any information or related threads people may be able to point me towards.

Many Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer me - I look forward in the distant future to one day be able to return the favour!!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

MCDBA would probably be best for you as for how to study for it I am not sure if you can self study for this cert, you probably can as you can with every other cert providing you have relevent experience.

I cant advise you on wages etc as I have no experience in that field.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, yes. There really isn't any such thing as an "entry-level DBA". Most DBAs are either programmers or network/systems admins who have decided to specialize as a DBA.

If you were ready for a DBA role, I'd say that the MCDBA is still quite useful. Many companies still use SQL Server 2000.

For people who are looking to get into IT, I usually suggest the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

I guess you could take on a second job. Real-world IT experience can only be gained by working in IT.

Certification doesn't magically qualify you to get a more advanced position.... only experience can do that. Experience always trumps certification. Certification merely gives you an advantage over others who are applying for a position.

Take this example: You and another guy are both applying for a systems admin position. You have the MCSA, but he has some experience working with servers while in a desktop support position. Who do you think will get the job? Someone who has passed a few tests, or someone who has done the job?

Please do not take this advice in a negative light. You can certainly *become* a DBA... but trying to jump right into it from zero might be a bit unrealistic. Work your way up a step at a time, and you can certainly get there!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. inzi38

inzi38 New Member

Guys, thank you very much for your responses - all info is gratefully appreciated!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009