Hi Everyone, Needed help restoring windows

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by vilfran2002, Oct 24, 2006.

1. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I've just signed up for this forum after spending sometime surfing the net for some possible info that could help me sort my problem out. But i think it would be a better idea to ask you guys out there!
    I got this laptop which i've made some registry editing but after turning on for the next time it's just came up with a black screen. Unfortunately I didn't make any back up. I tried 'last known good configuration' but didn't work at all. Coincidentally, my dvd-rom drive is broken so reinstalling windows is not an option for me at this time. Please, Im asking anyone out there who can give me advice how can i restore windows if it still possible. Or if reinstalling windows is the only way, how am i going to do it without my built-in drive working? i've checked cmos set-up but only found 3.5 floopy drive and network from the boot list.
    Thanks in advance guys!!!:biggrin

Regards,
    francis

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

what OS are you using?

have you tried using Sysem Restore if using XP/ME?

3. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

thanks for reading my message! Im using xp home edition. I haven't try system restore, don't know how to get there without windows loaded. Could you please tell me how...
    Cheers mate!!

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

What changes did you make to the Registry and why? It could be these changes are nothing to do with Windows not booting up (although it sounds likely). Can you boot into Safe Mode (press F8 straight after the post)?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

I've just read article from the net about hiding the contents of 'add remove programs' from the control panel and out of curiosity, i tried it. But can't turn on my laptop the next time so I just suspect that what i've done is causing that trouble. I tried to boot into safemode but can't...Is there any other way? Cheers!

6. Baba O'Riley

Off the top of my head, two things you can try would be to try and borrow an external CD drive or get hold of/create some kind of bootable floppy or USB stick containing some diagnostic utilities (suggestions anyone?). Do you have another PC? If so, you could boot the laptop from a Knoppix Live installation on a USB stick and network it to your other PC. You might then be able to at least pull any important files off the laptop, That solution makes a few assumptions on the type of equipment you have to hand though.

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

At what point does the boot up crash? Do you see any of the Windows XP spash screen, or is it just blank from POST onwards?

:blink

Oh yeah, welcome to CF! :biggrin

8. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

Cheers! it's just a blank screen from post onwards...thanks for some ideas guys and i will try those and will get back to you soon!
    Cheers to all of you guys!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think it's time to invest in a new CD/DVD drive. It sounds to me like the registry is corrupted now, so you either have to manually fix it, which would require booting up from a CD like BartPE or do a windows repair which would also require booting up from the original OS CD. Either way, without a CD drive, you are seriously hampered.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Mr.Cheeks

take the hard drive out and put it into another comp where there is a cd/dvd rom... extereme i know!

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

dont try that unless the hardware is the same as your machine...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. Baba O'Riley

That may be a little difficult as it's a laptop.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depending on what type of laptop it is you can put the HD in a desktop PC as a slave and try and get some data off it.

You need one of these
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705

I would only do this after exhausting all other options. Taking a laptop to pieces is not fun. I had to replace a screen on Dell laptop today, took out about 5000 screws and for some reason only 4,999 of them went back in after I replaced the screen, ack! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate Sparky!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

Thank you guys for those infos!!! let me ask you this: is it possible to run windows installation from external drive? i made a querry about replacement of the built-in one and it's a bit expensive... Cheers!!

17. Mr.Cheeks

external cd or hdd? i know it can be done with the cd drive and sure it could be done with a hdd aswell, but someone will give you a def answer.

18. Baba O'Riley

I think it depends on whether your BIOS will support booting from USB devices.

19. vilfran2002

vilfran2002 New Member

i borrowed an external dvdrw drive to try installing windows from there but no options in the bios settings to boot from usb devices. what's in there is just a floopy and network. how can i boot from network? is it as simple as if i connected my laptop to a network then i would have a chance to connect to other computer's cd drive and boot from there?? really don't have much idea but that is one of the option in the bios boot list...cheers!

20. Baba O'Riley

Booting from the network won't help you here unless you happen to have a server with a Windows image stored on it. I'm guessing not. I think you're going to have to cave in and fix the internal CD drive.