Hi Everyone! Help With Studying Practices

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Valo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Valo

Valo New Member

I’m glad I’ve managed to find a great resource website like this as I could use some advice on studying practices.

I successfully completed my MCDST exams last year with a night school class with relative ease due to previous experience and I used the course to fill in gaps in my knowledge, this only gave me an exam board pass mark but I am planning to sit the full Microsoft Exams shortly.

I’m starting to study for my MCSE in my own time (purchased Microsoft Press books: 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294) but I’m looking for advice on the best way to study and retain the knowledge I learn. I should explain that I have a spinal injury (broke my neck 5 years ago) and have extremely limited dexterity in my hands, so I find it difficult to take notes with pen and paper but can type very well with one finger, I can’t stand using voice dictation software like Dragon Naturally speaking as it drives me insane with its errors.

What tools other than note taking do you use to help with studying, dictation recorders?

What are your studying practices.....how long do you study for on average per week?

Any pointers would be great.....I'll be making use of this great forums collective knowledge when I inevitably hit a break wall with the course. 8)

Cheers,

Valo

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

None at all. I don't take notes. The information I need is already in a printed form for me to read.

For lectures, presentations, or sermons, I take notes by writing them down or typing them in. And I don't write/type every single thing - just things I believe are vital to remember. You can use Microsoft OneNote, but if it's just text, I use plain-old Word or Notepad.

Depends on what's going on in my life. I study whenever I get the urge and for as long as I feel like studying. That way, I don't burn out. Yet I'm motivated enough to not allow myself to put my studies on the back burner for too long.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!