Hi - cisco newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MacAllan, Jul 11, 2007.

1. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Hello everyone,

Another newbie here. Just got my CCNA and started on a track towards CCNP - tough going!

Reading other posts, I have to put my hand up and say: yes, another sucker conned by SkillsTrain.... But doing my best to get something out of it...

:)

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Welcome to CF - how do you think you were conned? Did you manage to get your CCNA through them, as I'm just about to start that element of my course (completed the A+ and N+ with them, without much problems!) Just interesting to hear - enjoy the forums!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Hi,

The quality of their training falls far short of it's advertised status: I hardly know where to start. The A+ course was out of date; the N+ course doesn't match the CompTIA objectives; there was no Hands-On training... Errors in course material, poor tutors... I hoped it would get better for the CCNA, and at least the course material was improved. But, there was no Live Internet Training, except for dowloads of ones pre-recorded, the Live-Labs are good for router-labs, but the Switch-labs use 1900 switches, whereas the cisco syllabus has 2950s and the command syntax is different. Okay, I thought, it just HAS to get better for the CCNP... Hmm, there are no Live Internet sessions, not even pre-recorded... the material is still based on the old exams (the BCRAN and CIT exams don't even exist anymore, the whole CCNP structure has been revised - somebody please tell ST!), and instead you are given access to another provider's website that has the updated material - but with no support in how to use it. Really, really third rate... By the way, I passed A+, N+ and CCNA in 18 months, so no-one can say I'm not a trier... but I had to do loads of extra studying than what was just on the SkillsTrain course material. To be honest, A+ and N+ are pretty easy, but with a 850/1000 pass mark for the cisco exams, it's a whole different situation, and I'm not sure SkillsTrain are actually up to it. CCNP is a really tough set of exams, and with such out of date course material, how do you rate my chances of passing? I also know I could have done it much cheaper, and probably with better support at my local college as some have done - except, my local one doesn't offer the courses, only does HND :(

(Rant over. - Bet you wished you'd never asked now... :) )

I've come here hoping there are some cisco genii who can answer my dumb questions... routing multicast traffic - help!

Mac :)

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks for the input - as ever, I'll be bracing myself and going in open-minded.

Think you may have plumped unlucky with the CompTIA section though. I think possibly after a barrage of complaints, they have significantly updated their material; I passed the N+ without a problem, and their material mapped well quite generally, apart from some legacy info that was no longer on the exam.

But the Cisco forum here is well-used - I'm sure there'll be plenty of peeps that can help you out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I had just finished the old A+ course (and exam) when they gave out the new material - since the exams also changed, I don't know how folk are managing with it now. But the old course was awful... and the worst thing was that they must have had loads of complaints about it, but the errors and typos were never corrected. I ended up checking everything they taught against other information on the internet. I've run accredited training courses in previous workplaces, and if my quality control had been that bad, I'd have been out on my ear... The N+ course, I was offered the new material, but declined it - I found the old stuff actually better. All that stuff on AD and Novell Directory Services, just isn't on the N+ syllabus, and other stuff is missing. But the exam is so easy, I would agree it doesn't matter much. But your tolerance levels are obviously sky-higher than mine... :dry

:)

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the pass.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA