Hi certforums!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mb/007, Dec 24, 2006.

1. mb/007

mb/007 New Member

Hi peeps,

I'm just looking for advice with my career, i really want to go into games programming when im older -- been learning c++ and javascript but dont really know what certs i should get. i love games so i guess a career programming them can't be all bad? :twisted:

look forward to meeting some of you peeps,

mb.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I'm not aware of any universaly recognized certs in C++, but I'd say your best way forward is to look for game programming sites on the 'net, and attempt to write a simple game yourself to get a feeling for how things work.

You could use that experience and demo it when job hunting.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi there and welcome to CF

You could try starting on visual basic.net, as you can make games on that. They start off simple mind but i spose it all counts

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Merry Christmas and Welcome to CF! :biggrin

5. mb/007

mb/007 New Member

i looked at visual basic, would that be a good cert to have for game programming?

yeah, harry there arnt any certs i could find either that are specific for c++, i guess its like you say, just learn it by yourself and prove that you can do it for the employer...

i'll look for some specific game programming sites then. Thanks for your help so far. :biggrin

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi and welcome to CF!

you say "when im older" how old are you? Have you considered looking at a part-time course at a local college or uni - maybe counting towards a certificate or even a degree?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Hello and Happy Christmas

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  8. mb/007

mb/007 New Member

im 16 -- i was home tutored for GSCE's as my family moved around alot because my dads in the army, i im not taking a-levels and obviously am not going to uni, been interested in this area for ages so im going to start now. :biggrin

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

but that doesnt mean you cant learn and eventually go to uni! I had problems because of where i lived and ended up in Uni this year so look into it because game programming looks like a hot area. And if you want to do a course at a local college im sure they will accept you with GCSE's look on the net for a college near you - even if its one course in C++

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice. Keep in mind that you'll often be competing against other wannabe game developers who DID go to Uni. While it's not required at most places, it does give them an edge on the CV.

Because I'm not a game designer, I don't know what would be most useful to learn on the programming side. I'd suggest picking up ANY programming language and learning what it's like to program. Programming isn't all fun and games... even in game development... looking at (and detangling) code is a lot less glamourous and fun than playing the games themselves.

I wish you the best of luck! And welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I work with a bunch of software engineers in my day job (no, not game programmers) and at this stage of the game, I'd concentrate on learning to program rather than getting a bunch of certs. I don't mean learning different programming languages, although of course, that's important, I mean learning to code well, regardless of the language. There are plenty of programmers out there that can get the job done but their code is completely bloated. In addition to your current studies, you might want to pick up a book like "Code Craft" from No Starch Press. Just a "nickle's worth of free advice", to quote "Mr. Strickland". :biggrin

Welcome to the forum.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+