1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, anybody know about cisco IT essentials?

Discussion in 'A+' started by blinky_bill, Dec 11, 2004.

1. blinky_bill

blinky_bill New Member

Hi!

I'm 27, own a computer, work in the electronics industry and want to move into IT.
    It seems like the best way to start is by getting an A+ and there is a course at my local college called Cisco IT essentials 1. It costs about £200 and apparantly prepares you to take the A+.
    From what I understand though there are alot of rip-off merchants about, I was wondering if anybody had taken this course and what they think.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi blinky_bill,

If you mean the A+ course, loads of folks around here have done it, and I think none will argue about it's value. It's a great entry-level cert on the road to more advanced qualifications, and if nothing else, will give you loads of experience with day-to-day hardware and software.

I'd say the consensus around here is that it's easily do-able off your own back (ie don't pay anyone else to get you through it) if your prepared to commit enough time and effort.

There's a lot more help to be found about this within this very forum - take your time, and do some research.

Oh, btw - why not drop a post in our New Members Forum - it's always nice to get to know new faces :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think what you might be referring to is Cisco's online academy. If I understand you correctly, Cisco is branching out from just offering training on their products to other venues. I knew they were offering courses on UNIX but didn't know they had extended their offerings to the A+.

The A+ is the right entry level cert to take to start your career path into IT. I think Cisco did a fairly good job at preparing me for my CCNA exam (I passed). I can't speak to how they present the A+ material though.

btw, welcome. Take a moment to pop up to the New Members forum and introduce yourself to the gang. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

hi mate

im currently doing the it essentials with cisco, the way they present the information is superb. Its all online on their academy website, and im told at the end i do the cisco exam and then get a discount voucher to go and do the a+..

Ace! :)

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  5. blinky_bill

blinky_bill New Member

thanks guys

I'm gonna do it! :)

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good move fella - best o' luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

go for it fella, tell me what you think of the way the information is delivered.

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes...a report back on how you found the process would be helpful to the rest of us. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. flame

flame New Member

Have you got a link?

I can't seem to find any info about this?