Hi, any advice?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jim_jiminy, May 14, 2011.

1. jim_jiminy

jim_jiminy New Member

Hi,

Just found this great forum, just what I needed really....hopefully someone can give me some good advice!

I'm considering doing some IT training and hopefully widening my career prospects.

I'm 32 and currently work as a Technical Operator for a large TV, Satilitte & Comms company. My current job is working at a TV broadcaster using server based playout, ingesting, editing, QC'ing and content management. We were the first company to use a tapeless environment in UK. everythng is server based.

I have a degree in Entertainment Technology and have worked for PC Plus, PC Answers magazines in the past as an editorial assistant. I have built loads of PC systems for friends and family and really enjoy working with computers and messing with them (have a collection of retro Amigas, Atari's, various consoles, c64's, etc etc).

So, I wanted to do something a bit more interesting than I'm doing now, and get out of TV as it's not a good area to be working in for job security. I also want the potential to earn much more money (at mid 20k's now). These are the reasons why I want a job in IT.

I have dabbled a bit in website design which I really like but am I right in thinking this is saturated at the moment in terms of newcomers?

So that leaves support side of things and networks...

So here's some questions:

- What is the best way for me to proceed? - I want to train whilst I'm in my current job, then when I have the qualifcations, start in the real world (I realise pay will be low intially!)

- Which sector in IT has the most demand for employment, both here in UK and other countries such as Europe, Australia, Canada? What's something I can get into that will really give me options worldwide?

- Is it worth doing something with Computeach - they are quoting £3,600 for 2 years of courses - as many as I can do it that time... starting with A+ then moving onto the microsoft courses. There are also other deals going at TP's - hows the best?

Any advice would be really appreachiated!

Many Thanks,
    Jim.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Entertainment Technology
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

With your background why would you need a TP to obtain the A+ ?

3. jim_jiminy

jim_jiminy New Member

Well I was thinking of going on with them to do the microsoft courses also.

Shall I just do self study A+ & N+ then? And from there what and how?

Cheers.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Buy books and vouchers, study, book exam, take exam, simples.

I'd pass A+ and N+ first, that will take a few months, people shouldn't plan multiple certs at once really, one step at a time.

TP's and consumerism have got lot to answer for...

If self study goes ok and you pass then you can re-evaluate and look for a new subject to study. The A+ and N+ are beginner certs, they are good to study in general.

Many cert topics can be quite dull and of little interest if you don't have the corresponding job or experience, so I'd think about maybe getting one MS client cert and then looking for relevant experience.

5. jim_jiminy

jim_jiminy New Member

Thanks for your help....yes those TP ads are everywhere - plus when you speak to them their sales pitch is very good....