Hi, and I could do with some advice.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by yvestighe, Mar 16, 2008.

1. yvestighe

yvestighe New Member

Hey Folks

I am currently working as a 1st line support analyst, ive got to the point where I know the job inside out and its becoming increasingly boring. I want to further my skills and start looking towards 2nd and 3rd line positions.

Can anyone recommend any certifications/qualifications that would help develop from 1st to 2nd line support quickly and then maybe onto 3rd, ie mainly network related stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Yves

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Do you have *any* certs or qualifications at the moment?

What sort of line is your current work?

Without knowing the answers to those questions it is a little hard to suggest where to start, but for many people the best line is to get A+ and Network+.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. yvestighe

yvestighe New Member

Hey thanks for the replys..

In response to Harry..

I dont have any certs at the moment. I have a BTEC GNVQ Intermediate in IT, that I obtained in collage when I was about 19, thats all. Im 25 now.

My current role is mainly telephone based for a large mail order company, 1st response for any issues that are IT related, so my tasks involve, resetting/creating ID's for alot of the systems and admin work. Troubleshooting basic problems within all different programs. So things like office, photoshop, citrix, Novell, outlook, and a bunch of others that the company uses. My percentage of calls I fix first time is extremely high so thats telling me I need to move on, alot of the stuff I am throwing to 2nd line, I could do if I was allowed to leave my seat :P but then again I dont feel my knowledge is strong enough to apply for a 2nd line job.

Would the A+ and Network+ plus still sound like a good starting point after hearing the above?

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup - they would provde a good base to build on. You may find the hardware part of A+ not very relevant, but it is always good to know the core info on how these machine work!

Obviously it would also help to study the apps the company uses, so as to have a broader knowledge base.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend the A+ and Network+. Since you've been working in IT for a while, it shouldn't be extremely difficult for you... though, I guarantee that you'll learn something new while you're studying for them. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum...
    I agree with getting your A+ and N+. It will benefit your career as well as getting you to learn something new. If you already know it, then the certs should be a breeze :)

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685