Hi and help - Web Development Project Management

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tobeeornot, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tobeeornot

tobeeornot New Member

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum as I trying to get some objective advice and thought the members could help.

I am a Project Manager want to get some additional skills by doing some web development training and getting certified with some Microsoft and Adobe products and moving into Web Development project management.

I have done some research into a course but really want to know if the qualifications (especially with the MS certificates) I obtain are well regarded in the industry? Basically I want to know if it is worthwhile doing.

The course covers the following:

HTML
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (Exam 70-516)
    Developing Data Access Solutions with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Introduction to Web Development with Visual Studio 2010
    Dreamweaver CS5 (Exam 9A0-146)
    Photoshop CS5 (Exam 9A0-15)
    Flash CS5

Any advice would be really helpful!

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The Microsoft certifications are generally well-regarded, but the programming certifications aren't typically a "requirement" for getting a Web development job. I think they would be beneficial for someone in your situation where you want to be able to prove that you understand the code to go along with your project management experience. I honestly have never seen a job posting that was asking for any of the Adobe certifications, which isn't to say that they aren't desireable...the Adobe certifications are just more targeted for designers, and I've never tried to find a job as a designer.

3. tobeeornot

tobeeornot New Member

Many thanks for your response BosonJosh. I think it would be silly if I expected to know how to program after such a short space of time. I am hoping that I can improve my Project Management skills, and perhaps after a few years of practise, move more into the coding and development work.

Have you heard of Koenig Solutions in India and know if they are well regarded?

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Go back to college and get a foundation degree or teach yourself using books and cbt's.

Koenig or this TP won't make you a developer in 1-2 months, it takes years.

5. tobeeornot

tobeeornot New Member

Hi Dmarsh,

I think that will be the plan in the long term but in this job market I think an understanding of the process, coupled with the certfications, will be all I need to enhance my skills as a Project Manager. I fully appreciate that being a fully experienced developer takes years and there is no short cuts.