Hi and a few Q's

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mattprince, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi All,

matt, 30 from Stoke on Trent. Been into computers for years and can build, resoftware, repair etc etc.

Am in the process of taking it to the next level by training for my certs.

Ive decided to go with this company.. http://www.microsoft-certification.co.uk/index.html

Does anybody gave any experience with these?

Also i am doing their "career package" which consists of the following in the following order...

A+
    Network+
    MCSA
    CCNA

Then i would hopefully get a job, get a year or 2 experience whilst getting my MCSE certification.

Does that sound like a logical order?

Regards

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I have never heard of them

The MCSA is for people who have 6-12 months experience as an admin.

The MCSE is a certification for people who already work in IT it is meant for people who support and maintain a 250+ multi user multi user environment and have 12-18 months experience. This info can be found on Microsofts web site.

The CCNA although CISCO don't advertise it is meant for people who actually maintain and support CISCO routers and switches in their jobs.

Highend certs like MCSA,MCSE and CCNA are for professionals to back up their work experience and are not for people who are looking to work in IT. Having highend certs can make getting a job harder.

The A+ and N+ is a good idea, most people do the MCDST afterwards.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok... What would be the best way for me to get to the MCSE then?

I have 5yrs+ experience in IT just not on paper. I can hold build, repair, resoftware computers all day long but know nothing about networking.

What certs would you say i do and in what order?

Matt

4. greenbrucelee

When people talk about experience they mean experience in a job not that you build a computer at home and reinstall some software, The MCSE is very hard and is for people with lots of experience.

As I said you need to be doing a network engineers type of job where you are maintaining servers etc.

A+, N+, MCDST try and get some networking experience before you go any further.

5. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

It was 5yrs working in a computer business. How could i get a network engineers job wothout the mcse?

Matt

6. greenbrucelee

start at the bottom in some sort of support job and get promoted, or maybe get a trainee networking job although networkingjobs for trainees are very rare.

If you have had experience in building and fixing computer problems then you should progress well, look for an IT tech job in or 1st line support job and with your experience you should progress well.

Certifications like the MCSE are not designed to get you a job they are designed to show that you have the experience doing that job.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What is resoftware ? :blink

Normally it involves working your way up through various roles, desktop support, server support, network support.

In each role you get exposed to a little of the next role and thus manage to build up experience and progress.

8. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Im a little confused and disheartened now.

I thought i could do the A+, Network+, MCSA then the MCSE eventually and be able to land a good job in a job that i would love.

So doing them would be pointless as i wouldnt get a job anyway?

Or could i do them, then go for a job as support and try and get promotion at that company.

Matt

9. greenbrucelee

You could do the A+ and N+ and the MCDST and get a job in support then get a promotion then get the MCSE

The MCSE as I have said is not for someone who wants a job but somebody who already has a job as a network engineer.

Nobody walks into a network engineers job, it would be mad of the IT director to let someone loose on their network if the person had no experience.

10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No need to be disheartened, nothing worthwhile comes easy.

Most people on this board are trying the same thing, its certainy possible, be prepared for some competition though ! :D

The A+ and Network+ are entry level certs, they are a fine way to start and prove core competencies for various roles including desktop support.

The MCSA and MCSE are more advanced certs. The idea generally is to get as much relevant experience as possible before attempting these certs.

Who knows ? Very few careers look certain these days. People with no skills or qualifications however things are likely to be fair far worse.

Getting an entry level job and building up is the geneal gist of it, maybe you are already part way there? Goodluck ! :D

11. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

i think what im going to do is:

A+
    Network+
    MCDST

Then get a job in support hopefully.

Then do the MCSA and then the MCSE whilst trying to learn more and more about the job and pushing for a promotion when i can prove to the employer i can do the job

Sound ok?

Thanks

Matt

12. greenbrucelee

Yep, you could get a job whilst you are studying the A+. Most people on here advocate self study. That is where you buy the books yourself and teach yourself it's cheap and easy but if you prefer a course then thats up to you.

13. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the advice again.

Im going to do the A+ first then look for a job. Then do the Network+ and MCDST whilst working in that job.

Then i can reevaluate if i want to progress in that company or get another job elsewhere and then try and work my way up.

Matt

14. greenbrucelee

:D good idea :)

15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Matt, Take your learning as far as you can, do not just go for the certifications in all this.

I think it is the best course of action for you to do the A+, Net+ and MCDST as this will give you a great foundation, for a career, and also if you can use this as a foot in the door for a company, with progression prospects, then you will be laughing.

When you have done the MCDST, there is nothing to stop you doing the 270/290/291 exams, or at least study for them.

Armed With the skills you will learn, more importantly, the skills you DEMONSTRATE at work, then this will be where your opportunity to progress comes.

A+ and Network+ are electives for MCSA, so they are worthwhile according to microsoft, it may be you do A+ MCDST, then Network+, as then you have solid skills in desktop support, and then you will look into networks in more detail, thus increasing your understandings, realistically the ping command, maybe tracert and pathping are the only network commands you will need to know in a first line role, so nailing PCs, and XP, will give you plenty of opportunity to show off so to speak.

Also have you considered buying the books and studying that way? Will be much cheaper.

Best of luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  16. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi Kevicho,

Would the books be as current as doing a course though?

If so do you have any recommendations on books for the A+, Network+ and MCDST?

Whree do you take the exams? (i forgot to ask the lad who called me from the training orginisation earier)

Matt

17. greenbrucelee

The best books for the A+ are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers & PC Technician street smarts.

The N+ is being revised in January so there will be new books for it then but at the minuter Network + by David Groth is the best. The MS Press books are the best for the MCDST.

You take the exams at your local pearsonvue or prometric test centre you can find them on their websites and book the exams through the website/ You can buy A+ and N+ discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com discount vouchers are supplied with the MS press books.

18. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

19. greenbrucelee

Never use just one book, get the two I mentioned for the A+, get the grothbook and MIke meyers book for the N+

20. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi Matt

Never trust a TP who does not put their address on the website.

Even though GBL and a few other advocate self study, I have had a very good experience with a TP and I don't mind shouting about it!!

But to keep the waters calm you are better off if you send me a private messge, just incase I ruffle a few feathers

MrM