Hi all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by troubledtony, Jan 19, 2006.

1. troubledtony

troubledtony Bit Poster

Hi all and there seems to be quite a few of you too, it's nice to find i'm not alone in being totally confused by the amount of and differing avenues training thats on offer, so just a bit of history for you, After quick glimpse of reaper in december (thank you new forest ponies) i decided to change my career, Marine eng, electrical mechanical etc But and a big but it's all QBE( qualified by experience) don't get me wrong i can earn the 30k these trainers offer by doing a bit of overtime, what i want is a job that doesn't fill me with dread at the potential of another 30 years. I'm sure IT is it, i've built and messed about with pc's since the zx80(beep squeak crash, for those old enough to remember!) and i'm certainly not afraid of hard work. I know experience is all that ultimately counts so i'm not totally convinced by what i've been offered by various trainers some impartial advice would be appreciated. (got to go missus say i can play tomorrow). thanks if you've read this far.

Certifications: none
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tony. Welcome to CertForums. Seems like your background would make you an able candidate for self-study of certifications such as the A+ and Network+. You don't really say what area of IT attracts you. There are numerous avenues for you to pursue. Even under the best of circumstances, changing careers can involve a few bumps in the road. Having a set goal or at least a general direction can help you develop a plan.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Tony :D

Take your time to read as many threads as you can in the Training and Development forum. It is full of useful information pertaining to people in your situation.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Hi Tony and good luck with whatever course of action you take.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Tony :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. troubledtony

troubledtony Bit Poster

Thanks for all the advice, even from those who didn't know they've helped. I will not be paying someone 5k for something i'll have to do myself (:i never take my cars to garages either:) Ill try the A+ on my own and see how it goes. by the way do these kind of online training things have any real relevance? I've done a couple of demo courses and it was fun actually (www.e-careers.co.uk) these chappies have all kinds of courses you can try but as it was so easy is this a con too. Oh why can't it be easy, i know, if it was everyone could do it!!!

Certifications: none
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well I'd never take my PC to a PC repair place, but I always take my car to the garage. I'm sure I could service it myself but bugger that! :)

Good luck in whatever you choose Tony. Have a good read around the forums, especially A+ etc.. and you should get an idea were you want to go with the whole training thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Tony.

Welcome and good luck!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

'ello! :biggrin

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Tony - glad you joined us. Good luck :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there Tony and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009