Hi All!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by domino0050, Apr 13, 2010.

1. domino0050

domino0050 New Member

I have been reviewing CertForum for a couple days and finally decided to become a registered member as this site has a lot of "very knowledgeable peeps and information. I will enjoy contributing here and there while asking questions as well.

I have 9 years experience in the IT realm and a BS degree in IT Management with a few industry certifications.
    Currently work as a Network Engineer dealing primarily with Cisco routers and switches. Wanted to pursue the CCNP but job "strongly suggest" the MCSA track before doing so.

Am more of a hands-on person and with that said:

Question:
    I am in the process of purchasing a used Dell server to set up DC, RIS, GPO's..etc.
    Currently, I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise ,XP os, and VMware Fusion cd's as well.

1) What type of server would be sufficient to obtain and perform labs on? (make, model)
    2) How many would I need?
    3) I would like to load VM's using VMServer as well b/c it's free. I prefer to purchase an actual server and not practice using VM's on my primary PC. How much memory will this server need to say run 4 -5 VM's on it?

Is there anything I need to know or may require for this setup?

Thanks guys ...

also, I have been studying so far using CBTNuggets, TrainSignal, and Sybex.

A+ / Net+ / Server+ / Server+ / CCENT / CCNA / 70-270 in process

Certifications: A+ / Net+ / Sec+ / Server+ / CCNA
    WIP: MCSA / MCSE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Hardware wise, it's pretty much independent. We have people here using Intel servers, fujitsu, IBM, HP, etc... Some are using standard PC's and either running the server OS on it or virtually on it.

When I taught the MCSA/MCSE courses, I believe it was 3 or 4 servers... plus depending on the module, you may need 1 or 2 clients.

Well the recommended minimum RAM for Windows 2003 is 256, I personally would give it a little bit more (say 512mb). So times that with the amount of servers, then add the amount of ram that the host needs and presto, that's your answer (eg 4 virtual servers: 1gb min plus whatever you want for your host, maybe 1gb... and whatever you allocate your virtual clients).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+