Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Paulg84, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Paulg84

Paulg84 New Member

I'm currently studying towards my CCNA, and trying to get my first IT job.
    I've been a gradute for two years now, attended numerous interviews, yet on each occasion my lack of "hands on practical experience" has cost me dear... (catch 22 lol)

Now also considering some voluntary work as a means of getting myself started in an IT career.
    Anyways, nice to meet you all, keep up all the great work on the forum!

Regards,
    Paul.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Hang on in there, it's taken me 5 years to get into IT. The right job will come for you. Is there any question why you're doing the CCNA straight off? If you're going to work with Cisco kit then I recommend just concentrating on the CCENT, if you're not going to work with Cisco kit then I recommend doing the A+, Network+ & the MCDST.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Matthew Tailor

Matthew Tailor Banned

Hi Paul,

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forums. Good luck finding that voluntary work and like the others say hang in there!:D

Certifications: MCSD, MCPD
    WIP: MCPD 2008 (3.5)
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Welcome, to CF.
    And good luck with the study!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're just starting in IT, you're pursuing the wrong certification. The CCNA is designed for network admins who are just starting to work with Cisco gear. And no company in their right mind is going to let someone without experience administer a network, particularly one with Cisco gear. The logical IT career progression typically goes something like helpdesk/entry-level tech > desktop support tech > server admin > network admin. It's sometimes not that cut-and-dried... but as you can see, you're studying for the wrong end of the spectrum.

In truth, having a CCNA can make it MORE difficult, not LESS difficult, to get your first IT job. Employers with CCNA-level jobs won't hire you because you don't have experience (as you have seen), and employers with entry-level jobs won't hire you because they don't require someone with the CCNA - someone who is likely to be more expensive, or at best, won't stick around very long as they look to move up the IT ladder... leaving the employer to have to find/hire/train someone all over again. So you end up with your CV in the trash either way.

What I would recommend is pursuing some solid entry-level certifications to build a strong foundation upon, like the A+, Network+, and MCDST... and no further until you build some real-world experience. These certifcations CAN give you an advantage when pursuing your first IT job because they directly relate to things an entry-level tech will be doing.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...
    The advice I'd give has already been mentioned - best of luck. 8)