Hi all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by afcbob, Jun 17, 2008.

1. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

Hi all would just like to say hello to everyone, am doing a MCSA/MCSE i cen't seem to find a forum on here for it why is this.

WIP: MCSA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

There is a Microsoft certification forum on here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

Thanks all

Yeah did see that but was wondering why there was no MCSA/MCSE but there is others.

Thanks

7. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

Thanks.

Was also wanting to ask i have 3 computers in my house 1 laptop, my main computer and the one i use to play with.
    The problem is the 2 i use most are on Vista and was want to know if you think if i should put it back to XP to help with learning.
    I already know XP used it for years before upgrading to Vista.
    Just want to see what others do.

thanks

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome

11. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

No replys on this

Code:
    Was also wanting to ask i have 3 computers in my house 1 laptop, my main computer and the one i use to play with.
    The problem is the 2 i use most are on Vista and was want to know if you think if i should put it back to XP to help with learning.
    I already know XP used it for years before upgrading to Vista.
    Just want to see what others do.

thanks

12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I note you say you are studying MCSA. Can I assume that you work in IT, and that you've decided not to go for A+, Net+ and MCDST becase of prior experience?

As regards XP or Vista, it depends on whether you feel you won't get sufficient practice on the XP machine you don't use much. Can't you set one of the machines you use most to dual boot? That way you have XP and Vista on the same machine... sorted!

I would add that my reading of MCSA means you shouldn't just be looking at the client.

13. greenbrucelee

If your learning something like the A+, N+ and MCDST then XP will be more beneficial than Vista as most places will use XP or Windows 2000, some still use NT 3.51. The production dept in my place uses Windows 95 :blink

I have yet to encounter Vista in a business.Although some may use it.

For learning I have an XP pro SP3 PC with Virtual PC on it running server 2003 virtually networked to two virtual xp pro PCs. I havent got the Linux version working yet but I do intend to get Vista and link them all if poss.

14. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

No i don't work in IT am a stay at home dad till my kid starts school later this year, this is why i start this MCSA i got told by skillstrain that this would be best for me to go for.

As said the only use i now get on XP is the computer i setup to play with, but was think of maybe turn my other computer back to XP as well.

15. greenbrucelee

Skillstrain are lying to you.

The MCSA is a higher end cert much like the MCSE (but not as high) Microsoft recommend that you have at least 6 months experience as a network administrator before doing the MCSA.

Skillstrain wouldn't tell you that as they only want your cash.

Like has been said before you should be looking at entry level certs to get into IT such as the A+, N+ and MCDST they require little or no on the job experience.

The rest of the certs do require on the job experience, hopefully you havent fallen for the BS were they tell you you'll get a job for 30k a year because that is also a lie.

16. GiddyG

I believe that you should be concentrating on A+, Network+ and MCDST to begin with. If you have no previous IT experience, then you need to understand the basics first.

Can I suggest that you talk to Skillstrain, to ensure they fully appreciate your level of experience. I'd be interested to see how they are going to get the levels of networking hands-on you will require.

17. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

I do have some experience not so much in network administrator. No did not fall for the guys 30k+ would be luck to get half that after passing it, but thats not why am doing i like working on computers and if i can get paid thats just a plus.

So do you think i should but more computers back to XP then.

18. GiddyG

As I said earlier, you could dual boot. That way, you have XP and Vista on a machine. And, as GBL says, you could use Virtual PC or VMWare.

Really, it's up to you.

Putting a machine back to XP only may be a bit OTT.

19. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

Ok thanks will look into that points.

Thanks for the help

20. afcbob

afcbob Bit Poster

Was just having a look at Microsoft Virtual PC but it does not support Windows Vista Home Premium and thats what i have.