1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by orangepeel, Feb 19, 2008.

1. orangepeel

orangepeel New Member

Just a lil intro about myself and what i'm looking to do, My names Neil, I'm currently in the Army but have signed my papers and i'm going to be a free man on the 9th of June :biggrin

Before joining the army I was at college studying for a BTEC ND in Computing and the plan was to go onto university to do a degree in Computer Science, after 1 + 1/2 years of college I decided that university wasn't the best option for me so for some crazy reason i dropped out of college (6 months before the end of my 2 year course!!) and joined the army! Obviously with hindsight I know this wasn't the best decision of my life but I was only 18 and I wanted to see the world and all that jazz, we all make mistakes :rolleyes:

So, fast forward 5 years and I am now 3 months off leaving the army and currently flapping about trying to decide what i want to do and how i'm going to do it! I am 90% sure that the IT industry is where i want to go but with no previous experience I realise it is going to be quite tough going.

I have been looking at different IT training providers because as part of my resettlement I can claim for £1500 Learning Credits that can go towards any qualification above Level 3, there is one company called JBC Training that offers a 7 week resettlement course for ex-forces leading to a City & Guilds Diploma as a Network Support Practitioner, this seems ideal for me as my Learning Credits will pay for 80% of the course so all I would be paying is around £200 for what I think would be a good starting point for me.

I know that the City & Guilds alone won't get me a job but it also says that "you can use the knowledge gained to take some or all of the Comptia A+, N+ ,Security+, Microsoft MCSA and Cisco CCNA certifications" so my plan at the moment is to take the 7 week course and then use that as a starting point to self study for 1 or 2 of the industry recognised certs?? They also have a recruitment side of the company that will endeavour to find you a job once you have passed the course so hopefully I can get a job and study for the certs whilst gaining experience, surely someone who goes to an interview and says that yes they only have a C&G and not much experience but are currently studying in their own time for one of the other certs would have half a chance of landing an entry level role???

Also, being in the Royal Signals i am security cleared and have been told that this is a good thing to have in the IT world, Am I being told porkies or is this actually the case?

Anyways, bit longer than i thought it would be but its about as comprehensive an introduction as your likely to see :biggrin thanks for any advice that you can give me.
    Certifications: GNVQ IT (It's a start :D )
    WIP: ??
  2. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi Niel,

Welcome aboard - it's nice to have you!

It's interesting that you're a Signaler in the forces, as this was something I almost ended up doing myself when I was 18. You don't seem to be leaving much of a good impression about the trade. May I ask what specific trade you were in and the reason's you're wanting to leave (good practice for your civi interview)?

In regards to the C&G qualification, I personally don't think it would have much weight, and I work closely with several IT managers in companies who would agree. I would stick with the mainstream CompTIA A+, N+, MCDST and MCSA certifications. There are many training providers who can help you obtain these certifications, so you will still be able to take advantage of your resettlement package; however, they do tend to be overpriced, so you may want to consider self-study instead.

Your background should stand you in good sted with many employers, and you're security clearance could come in handy i.e. with companies who deal with the MoD/other government branches. You may want to try a little networking with other ex-forces personnel, specifically those who come from a similar background as yourself, as they may be able to assist you in finding a suitable position in civi street.

The best tip I can give you, or anyone else looking at getting started in the IT sector: network, network, network and forget about overpriced IT courses!

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM.

And, of course, good luck with whatever decision you make.
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  3. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums… :sunny