Hi all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DBradwell, Sep 18, 2006.

1. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this forum but hopefully plan on using it quite a lot in the future.
    In March 2005 I enrolled onto the NITLC TSE course which includes A+, N+, MCSE and CCNA.
    In my mind, looking back I was probably ripped off, but hey we live and learn.
    The main reason I think this is that they only give you 2 years to complete all the above, going at your own pace. With work and all that goes with it I am way behind. If you need "support" after that you are charged per quarter (they have not told me how much yet). I have never used any "support" up to now.
    Right OK so me, well I have completed A+ and just about finished the N+ book and will be doing the exam as soon as I can fit it in. I am at present working in an IT environment deploying Windows server 2000 and 2003 with active directory (baptism of fire I know), also with an Oracle database on (which is supported elsewhere, luckily).

Well hope to hear from you all (when I need help).

thanks.

Dave.

Certifications: A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How far are you into the course mate? Also the 2 year limit is in the small print. I think its 10% for a quarter but dont quote me on that, hee hee! :biggrin

Welcome 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

My support ends in March next year. I am not too bothered about it really, the only thing I will miss is one workshop as I plan on doing the one for N+.
    I have been told already that I have paid for all the exams and they have also sent me all the books. I am in this job for another 2.5 years before I need to get another so I am ok for now....As long as I can get help here.

4. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

welcome to CF! :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Just to let you all know that I passed N+ yesterday.
    I was probably too harsh on NITLC before, the workshops are really useful and the extra you pay for extensions is 5% per quarter, but I have been told you may get a couple of free terms first....Onwards and upwards....

Dave.

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on passing the N+ mate, and welcome to the forum.

At least you got something for your money, if not all that was promised you can come away with A+ and N+!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations mate. I'm with NITLC as well and the workshops really helped me pass my A+ and N+.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Congrats on the pass. Who are NITLC?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

National IT Learning Centre. A "training provider".

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Thanks all. I am really pleased I have got the two, I think "core" subjects out of the way. Now onto the more interesting subjects for MCSE and CCNA....

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Dave.

So, it has taken you nearly two years to pass the A+ and the Net+ IMHO that is way too long and you need to get a grip. If you seriously intend to now go for the MCSE *and* CCNA you will need to put a LOT more effort into your studies or else you will be pursuing these certs for another 10 years!

You should be looking to study for about two months per exam, that is cutting it fine but even at that rate the MCSE will take you another 14 months and then you still have the CCNA to learn.

Yes two years was probably an unrealistic time frame, unless you are prepared for a grueling study regime or are some kind of IT freak and there are people around that are.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your first post did come across as being slightly harsh, NITLC detail that there is a two year support period and it’s not their fault that you haven’t used the telephone and forum support they provide.

Congrats on the N+ pass mate!

Just to second what Bluerinse has highlighted, if you want to pass the MCSE you have to put the time in. MCPs are a step up from the CompTIA exams and (from my experience so far) they gradually get harder as you progress down the MCSE route. At the rate you are going nobody will be using Windows 2003 when you pass the MCSE.

Best of luck for your future studies! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Yes I understand this. But as I said in my first post I am in this job untill 2009 so I only have to complete the course by then really.
    Yes it has taken me too long I agree, but my circumstances have recently changed (I have more study time as I work away during the week), so hope to speed up a bit now...

As to the no-one using 2003 when I finish....What was the big update from 2k to 2k3?

17. BosonMichael

...and if you only do the minimum that is required, you might find that it will become difficult for you to be renewed by your current company or employed by a different one. Speeding up is certainly a good plan. Companies notice employees who take initiative... as well as those who don't.

Even if it does take you till 2009, Windows 2003 will still certainly be around. People are still using Win2K. I even supported a company last year that had a pair of NT4 servers!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Hi,

Could you explain what you mean by-
    "and if you only do the minimum that is required, you might find that it will become difficult for you to be renewed by your current company or employed by a different one."?

I am actually in the UK army at the minute and am coming up to my 22 years service in 2009, so will not be employed by my current employer at all after this.
    Why would I find it more difficult to be employed by an employer if I carry on with what I am doing, is it becuase you think I will not be up to date with the latest technology? If this is the case then I understand, but will put things in motion before I leave to update as we get quite a good resettlement package.

Thanks for your responses.

Dave

19. BosonMichael

Meaning, if you go into studying with the mindset that you have to complete ONLY the MCSE by 2009, then you're shortchanging yourself. You could potentially get the MCSE and a half-dozen other certifications.

Also, you are quite correct that if you get certified as an MCSE on 2003, you will no doubt be at least one generation behind (and well on your way to two generations behind) by 2009 - the Vista and Longhorn tracks are being established now.

The main reason I bring this up is because it's taken you two years to take three easy exams. That doesn't indicate to an employer that you've got initiative or motivation. I'm *not* saying that you aren't motivated, don't have initiative, or can't do it... I merely bring it up as a bit of advice and warning. You need *every* edge you can get over your competition. It's a fierce battle for jobs out here, and you can win... if you push yourself.

20. DBradwell

DBradwell New Member

Yes.

Thanks for the kick up the ass. I probably needed it..

I will try a lot harder now, I even feel like doing it now though as I have the 2 quals under my belt...