Hi All! Passed my 70-270 Today with 921!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by YottaMedia, Sep 15, 2006.

1. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Hi all.

Well, new to this forum, just saying hey to everyone on here.

Shoot me questions if you like, I love trying to work out something when I dont know how to fix it, or helping someone sort out a prob when I do know what it is.

Just took my first proper MS exam (did Project MOS a few weeks back and got 645...needing 650 to pass lol..close enough!) so yeah, did the 70-270 Xp Pro exam today. took me 50 mins and got 921. Love it. I'm an MCP! :D:D

Oh yeah, I also have the A+ cert, which i did more than 3 years ago now..taken a while to get into doing the MS certs. I'm actually managing to get tutor led MCSE training at the local college (in Cornwall - not available around the rest of the country i dont think) ...for totally FREEE including exams.

BTW I'm 26, not doing a great deal with myself at the moment other than eBaying Lego, fixing the odd PC or two, which is starting to take off...and installing a few Cat8 networks.

Cheers

Tom

Certifications: MCSA & A+
    WIP: MCSE CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard Tom. Well done on the pass. :thumbleft
    I've got my 270 on Thursday- fingers crossed.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Thanks Si

Good Luck on your exam. Depends how long you've been using Windoze (my first PC has WFWG 3.11) but it was a cinch. Nowhere near as hard as I anticipated. Get a few decent test questions to practice on, use the microsoft site for a few pointers and you'll be sw33t. I'm doing the DST exams next Friday, might as well get them out the way..already done the course for it, the tutor thought we should all wait until doing the 270 course....which finished today with a stonking pass so I can surely manage the DST...right? :P

Good luck with it again...

T

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Tom,

Thanks for the tips.
    I used 98, 2000 and XP when studying for A+ although I am mainly familiar with XP.
    I am using the MS Press Self paced book and Transcender Study guide and testing software as preperation.
    I also plan to do the MCDST. As you say, we might as well do it while the 270 stuff is fresh.
    Take it easy.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Ever tried mind mapping? I made one on paper a few weeks back that I've promptly lost in my bundle of junk, but basically break the book down into a few sections, like the main sections of installs for eg, then subsections etc etc. Being able to see the whole course on one page in a visual map rather than pages of blurge makes it all come together.

Of course 2k and XP are virtually the same with a few less features in 2K, sounds like you shouldnt have any problems with it. Sure feels good to know I'm an MCP now!

6. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey welcome to CF yottamedia! :)

good luck with the exam Si :thumbleft

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  7. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Hi Riaz :)

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

congrats on the pass man and welcome to CF

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

:beers2 :beers2

congrats on pass 921 great !!!!

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations and welcome to CF :morebeer

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Thanks All!! :D Does give you (well, me!) a confidence boost to have one MCP down. 6 or 7 more to go, best get studying!

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome and congrats! :biggrin

14. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

Hi,
    Congrats on passing your exam. im just starting the A+ course (doing it self-study, :ohmy ) as iv decided to pursue a career in IT after years of deliberation. i just passed my NVQ Level 4 in Management and got my Registered Managers Award. so im looking forward to sitting an exam on a subject i actually like.

i do have a question though, iv been looking at loads of sites on certification courses and one that pops up is the microsoft server exam. iv just been browsing through my program files and there is one called 'microsoft sql server' but it doesnt seem to do anything when i open the folder, is this a different thing altogether or is it something i should be able to use for study or practice?

15. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Hey

With the management qualifications that'll help you move up a bit quicker surely. I've got 2 years experience McManagement which helps from time to time. Essentially I reckon its the best skill you could need. Donald Trump doesnt know how to actually build houses brick by brick (he's not a brickie) - he's a manager.

As for SQL - pronounced "seeql" sort of. It's Microsoft's database coding exam. Bit of a hard one apparently. Mainly based on accessing data - programming essentially. I think there's a couple on it - one would be more for sys admins who need to support it, the other for knowing how to actually code in SQL. Don't comfuse it with MySQL, which is practically the same other than being open source (freeeee). MS SQL as it is known is way expensive and does everything the MS way.

Oh, and SQL server is an addon program, its not an operating system in itself. It's like Exchange for email, SQL is installed for database access/provision. The Windows server exams are 70-290, 291 etc - Actually Windows Server 2003, not Exchange Server or SQL server which are different to what you were referring to as the MS server exams.

16. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome and well done man!

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  17. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Why, thank you, thank you!!

This forum is pretty welcoming, thanks to y'all :p

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  19. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Thats a great score you achieved there. What books and study materials did you use, and how long were you studying?

Im just about to start studying for the 70-270 and would appreciate some hints and tips.

Ive currently got the Microsoft Press and Sybex books.

Cheers!8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I doubt you will get a reply, this post is from last year. And the last time he posted was 30th of september.:ohmy

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house