Hi all, New and needing advice!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rich0811, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Not sure whether or not to make a new thread to show progress or not but just a quick update

I am currently ordering books on Amazon as we speak the ones i have ordered so far are:

PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills Updated for the 2009 Exam - James Pyles

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (Comptia A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, (Exams 220-) - Michael Meyers

CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition - Michael Meyers;

Are there any other books which are useful and can be recommended? along with any other resources?

Thanks

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Those books are all excellent, James Pyles is a member here and I can recommend his work.

For the Network + you may want to look into the passport book which is for revision purposes it is sort of a condensed version of the All in one exam guide by Mike Meyers also professer messer does excellent free A+ and Network+ videos

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Okay will do, thanks. Cant wait for them to arrive now! i shall look on the website tonight for professer messer

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not without being totally self-serving by pimping my company's handiwork! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Hi Rich

Just to let you know that I am currently doing my a+ and n+ courses with a company called learninglolly.com (I hadn't heard of them either)
    Phoned them up and they were very helpful and informative,with very good prices to match.The 2 courses are £899, which considering Home Learning College was going to charge me £1800 for just the a+ course, I thought that this was good value for money.You can also pay it monthly if you can't afford a one off payment.
    I got all mine for £1699(alot I know)but this included 7 different courses like a+,n+,security+,server+,linux and mcdst.
    You also get access to measure-up exams so you know how you are doing,it is all dvd based learning with no books involved to keep the cost down. Give them a call if you want to go down this road (my package is called senior support technician) best of luck whatever you do :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  6. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Thanks for the information, interesting to hear how you get on with that course etc be sure to let me know! ive got some books in the post waiting to come between monday-wednesday. Il read over those and see what they're like before i decide to take the route of self study or that little bit of guided help through a Training provider.

An update on my situation, at the moment im just doing more research here and off forum, looking to sign up to a volounteer website which a member of this forum on another thread advertised, hopefully try and get some experience that way while i have no qualifications or past experience. Just willing to do anything i can right now to help me get into the IT sector, so eager to get going and earning, while i wait il be praying for a miracle to get some kind of break even if it is unpaid work experience :)

Rich,

P.S: Would it be stupid of me to pass up the opportunity if given to switch my university course from Business, to a FdSc in computing, to then eventually go onto a BSc Computing degree? Overall spending 3-5 years. Rather than doing self study and getting certified.

The only reason im not sure about the university route is due to my real eagerness to just start earning, tired of being a poor student with no money, and racking up further debt with uni fee's etc. Atleast with self study and certifications i can be in a fulltime job earning while doing so, with the opportunity to gain experience via volunteer work/work experience. I have also read how people tend to have a lack of experience coming out of university?

Im stuck with what option would be most beneficial to me or make me more appealing to employers? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. BosonMichael

If you decide to continue any degree program, I'd recommend getting an IT job - even a part-time one - while you're in school. The experience you gain will be just as valuable as your degree - if not more so - early in your career. Your degree will be more useful to you later in your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

I really would prefer the self study route along with getting my foot in the IT market asap for that experience whilst earning. However if it will end up hindering myself later in life by not getting that degree im not so sure. As long as i gain that valueable experience and the desired certifications wouldnt that be equal to a degree? And as you said even more beneficial due to that experience.

This is my main concern really, after reading through the forums ive read that a lot of people have trouble finding jobs as they never got any experience whilst studying their course. Just trying to figure out what would be the best option for me right now. Im going to start self study of A+ as soon as my books come through in the week.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  9. BosonMichael

I know it sounds like a lot of work - and it is - but I'd recommend doing all three... certification self-study, college classes, and working. Squeeze whatever in when you can. It's not forever... just for a little while. :)

Out of necessity, I worked full time (40 hours per week) while taking three or four classes per semester in college. You can do it!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Just a quick update: Books came through today! once i get home from work later il get started on the A+. I bought some project books and folders to help keep me organised and have all my notes in one area, and also to give me some more motivation.

I just need to set myself some realistic goals now. I have a lot of free time so finding the time to study isnt an issue. Would it be realistic to say to complete the A+ certification and Network+ by the end of december ready to take exams in january? or is that a bit ambitious? Im not the fastest of learners.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nobody can tell but you, you are the one that needs to learn the material.

Cert training guides tend to be 800-1000 pages long, on a good day studying fulltime I can do 50-100 pages. So thats about say 12 days really full on study, plus a few extra days for brush up revision and taking sample tests. A day to take the exam etc. So say two weeks fulltime is my normal best case scenario.

Some people apparently only take 2-3 days part-time to take cert tests on stuff they are experienced with, personally I've only ever passed CompTIA betas in such a short timespan, I couldn't see myself passing any of the other exams with so little preparation time.

I also have a fair amount of experience and have been playing with IT for a long time, so have some advantage.

When I first started out I might have to read some pages in IT books 5-6 times before it sank in, so your mileage may vary.

You should do labs, breakfix or general hands on stuff etc. Someone with experience will be able to skip a few labs on stuff they are familiar with, so again it could take you longer.

If its a subject you stuggle with and you study part time it could take you 6 months for one cert.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This might spur you on but I dont want to panick you. If you do not pass the A+ and Network+ by december 31st but pass them afterwards your certification will only be valid for 3 years so if you want to keep them you will have retake the exams every 3 years.

If you pass before December 31st you are certified for life.

Depending on your skill set and if you knuckle down I reckon you could pass both by the deadline. If you need help there is this place. Dont be afraid to ask any questions even if it seems like it may be mundane to the experienced on here remember we all were in your position at some point and there was a point when we didn't know anything and we had to ask questions.

good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael

If at all possible, you need to complete both A+ and Network+ by December 31, 2010. If you pass the exams this year, they will be good for life. People who take the exam in 2011 and onward will have to recertify every three years.

14. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Best of luck with the books Rich, let us know how you get on. I better get my finger out as well

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  15. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Yeah i guessed that it would be hard to put a time scale on things, i personally have no experience so im starting from the absolute basics so i dont think 2 weeks would be the likely case for me. I will have to have a stab at studying and then go on from there to see how long it will take me.

I didn't realise about the change to the certifications in 2011. That will be a big push for myself to try and do the certs before January. A bit of a panick but without that then theres not as much drive to get on and work hard so thanks for telling me guys!