Hi All, need some advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sambangert, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

Hi All

Just registered, and am looking for some advice.

I want a career change and am looking at doing an IT course.

I've been scouring the internet looking at course and i have an appointment with someone from computeach tomorrow. Not sure if it is a good thing from what i've read. I want to basically becaome a pc/systems engineer. What qualifications would be best. I don't have any sort of budget so would need to do a course that would me pay over time, where would be a good place to do this that can offer good training, is computeach any good. (Are computeach/skillstrain/schiedigger the same).

thanks

sambangert

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You can do compTIA A+ to become an IT Tech you do not need to do a course all you need is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles and an old pc you can take to bits and put back together.

I got those two books and an old pc for £80. Computeach etc will charge you near a grand.

You can ask on here if you need help with any concepts you find hard to understand.

If you prefer a course do one at a college, they will be cheaper than computeach etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

I don't really have time to go to a college, studying at home would be better. With the compTIA A+, would i then be able to get a job. Also would this cover networks as i guess in this day and age, knowledge of networks would be a must.

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...

Why did you choose IT as your new career? Keep in mind, IT is something that will take a lot of your time. From the beginning and throughout one’s career, the learning will never stop.

This isn’t meant to scare anyone - just a reality. With that said most people would suggest going the self-taught method and starting with the A+ certificate.

5. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

We'll, i'm 28 years old and am currently working as a sales manager in a uk dept store. I've been doing this for around 18 months and really can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Ever since i was at school i've always had a keen interest in computers. For different reasons, travelling etc i've never been able to get into the field, and now i realise that i really want to do this.

I'm always playing about with my computer etc. When i bought my computer the casing was all broken so had to get a new case, i basically took it apart and rebuilt it in the new case without any real knowledge on how to do it with no problems at all so i know i have the ability with computers. I'm always fixing friends computers and stuff.

Thats why i want to get into computer lol!!

6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome.

I agree with what has been said already.

Just to add that A+ will not guarantee you a job (no cert will do that I hasten to add); however, it will show any prospective employer that you are willing to learn, and that you possess a basic knowlegde - certianly enough to pass the A+.

All the best.

7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You'll do just fine. Welcome to the herd. :biggrin

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

I've just read the pinned topic about self study, have many of you done it, did you find it easy, difficult or would you suggest going with a company???? (Sorry if i ask to many questions, just don't want to sheel out loads of money going with a company when i could have done i myself.)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with what's already been said - solid advice.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No qualification will gaurantee you a job, but getting a qualification and having no experience in the real world will give you an advantage over someone who has no experience and no qualifications.

Experience in the real world is what really counts in IT.

The A+ covers the basics of a technicians responsibilites and what he/she should know the N+ is all about networking.

The generall rule of thumb is A+, N+ then MCDST but start applying for jobs ASAP and mention you are studying for the A+.

Also don't expect a high wage in IT you need to work you way up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

thanks all, i'm gonna look at the comptia a+ self study. Onwards and upwards!!!!!

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck :)

13. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Speaking both as a former classroom trainer and a former student, I honestly don't believe that the "instant cert" classroom training courses offer good value. Indeed, I've probably still got several years worth of bad karma to burn off as a result of being involved in that racket.

I'm not sure I'd describe self-study as "easy", but I would say that the results can be very rewarding if you are the self-motivated type.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  14. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree, you can only learn so much in a classroom when there is a time limit on how long you get to study each chapter of the study materials. There is a risk of gaining the certification, without really understanding what you learnt.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and good choice on going for the A+ through self study. Best wishes and remember with hard work and determination it can be done.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

thanks everyone, i'm sure i'll be back asking for more advice in the future.

19. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Great! :D

One thing I've been trying to persuade my parents is that the certs aren't actually worth more if I do them at some training centre - that is, that the available training centres are hardly likely to give anyone extra brownie points for studying with them.

The classes may help give you some direction, and provide you with some company with the fellow students, but apart from that, you'll be using the equipment you'll have at home, and probably using the same material you'll be revising from at home... so for the price, it's a whole lot of money for not that much more.

For me the best thing about self-study is being able to set your own pace - not be held back by other people who are slower on some topics, and able to spend all the time you need on less familiar subjects.

Anyway, that's my feedback, though I'm joining in rather late! :oops:

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's the one advantage that a training course does have: meeting other techs and wannabe techs. Often, it's not what you know in IT that gets you the job... it's WHO you know... and that includes front-line, entry-level techs. All it takes is for one of your friends (or distant classmates - I'm not picky! :p) to get a job, and you've instantly got an inside track on job opportunities that might pop up at their workplace.

All that said... is it worth paying a ton of money for the chance that you might meet someone that might help you get a job? Probably not, since there are other ways to meet techs in the industry - like... this forum! But it is certainly a factor to consider.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!