Hi all.. need some advice on IT support.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by antisanta, Feb 6, 2013.

1. antisanta

antisanta New Member

Hello all!

I'l set the scene. I currently work in retail and there is a job coming up soon that is a split-role including a IT system support role. Should I get it, I want to use that experience to eventually jump ship to a full system support role. Along with the experience I was thinking about going back to college to get a qualification in IT support.

I went to an open evening at the college tonight and to be honest i'm not convinced it's worth doing. I think it will be the basics of IT hardware and customer support, stuff that I already have experience in from working in retail and building my own PC's. Do you guys think it's worth doing? It's 2 years, one night a week.

The other option is to get certified during the systems role in work from home. I've been looking at CompTIA A+ to begin with and then try to advance on to Network+. Do you think that them two certificates coupled with the experience I would get from first line support in work (albeit basic stuff) would be enough to land me a full-time first line IT support role.?

My plan is to begin from the bottom, then as I gain experience, complete other certificates and work my way up but i'm having trouble figuring out where to start. I think it would be easier for me to just study from home and do the CompTIA certs.

TL;DR Where to start a career within system support!?

Thoughts and help would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Brian

2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Definitely the split role and A+ out of the two options. The experience (plus A+ as a bonus) you gain from that role will put you in a good position for a full time IT support role. To be honest, I would do A+ then a Microsoft certification like MCITP rather than N+. Or if that's not an option financially, I would do MCITP and skip taking the A+ exam if you already have a good knowledge of hardware and software.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I started with self study and the A+ and N+ and found both very helpful in building up my knowledge when I was in IT Support. I think from there moving onto the entry level MS certs is the way to go.

You can land a full time IT role at any time really, certs or not, but they definitely won't harm your chances!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. antisanta

antisanta New Member

Thank you for the replies.
    I could probably go straight into a first line role, but i'd rather have certs to back it up and increase my confidence. Are there any compTIA distance learning schools/colleges? A quick Google brought up a few but I've not read good things about computeach. Through which avenue did you get your A+?

Is the Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Guide: Essentials, 8th Edition (Exam 220-801/802) the book I need? And then I just need to find somewhere to take the exams?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

If you are looking to get into a support role (esp first line), ensure you focus on your customer service skills as much as your technical skills. You could get a suppot role without the certs if your CS skills are there. Be confident and positive.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are looking to get into a support role (esp first line), ensure you focus on your customer service skills as much as your technical skills. You could get a suppot role without the certs if your CS skills are there. Be confident and positive.

6. antisanta

antisanta New Member

I don't think customer service skills would be an issue for me, I've worked in retail for 4 years with around a year in a support position. Had to deal with some angry bastards and come to a nice resolution haha!

About to order my first book! I'm going down the self-study route, the book coupled with some videos. Think i'm going to do A+ and N+ (I'm crap/scared of networking aha) and then apply for my first support job :).

7. Rockerfella

Rockerfella Bit Poster

I was in a similar situation mate. I even tried to start my own business when i first started out just repairing friends pcs which kinda helped my knowledge however it dont seem to do that much in the interview room as i guess anyone can say "they worked on pcs for their friends and family". Employers want evidence so i guess thats where qualifications come in. Im studying towards the A+ now however quite abit in there that i already know.

8. antisanta

antisanta New Member

Yeah I can imagine. I have built and maintained my own PCs for years but without any form of certification or qualification I doubt that would hold much weight in an interview.

Since posting I am currently studying A+ using a combination of Mike Myers book and Professor Messer's online videos and it's going well. I'm confident I will be able to be A+ certified within 3 months.

I felt I knew a bit about PCs etc so I thought I would just read a few chapters and try some tests, turns out I don't know that much in the grand scheme of things! Good luck to you though!