Hi all, My first Post

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by icon_boy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. icon_boy

icon_boy New Member

Hi,

What a great resource this forum is! Allow me to introduce myself, currently I’m in a dead end job doing security, of which I’ve done for about 5 years on and off. I'm now 31 and recently just got married and now looking for a new direction in life. I’ve always had a keen interested in IT, having worked for a small Web Developing company many years ago setting up and maintaining their network albeit a small one, Also dabbled in web designing including php and mysql.

I've decided that IT is the direction i want to head towards and I know it going to be a lot of hard work and sweat, What’s the likely hood for me to break into this career at my age and having little experience.

I’m interested in perhaps heading towards MCSE and but am bewildered at what route to take - I do know that it going to be a self study option as I will have to work in security to pay rent etc...

Any advice greatly appreciated

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

What do want to do in IT?

if its web design then the MCSE wont help, plus you shouldn't be doing the MCSE untill you have years experience in managing servers and the like.

If you want to work in say technical support you should be starting off with compTIA A+, N+ and the MCDST. Self study can be done for all certs but if you would prefer somesort of training have a look at your local colllege and stay away from places like computeach and advent that will overcertify you and charge you too much money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Hi & Welcome! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Should be no problem whatsoever! :biggrin

As said start off with A+, Network+ and perhaps the MCDST if you are interested in a desktop support job and then onto the joy\stress of a network support job!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. icon_boy

icon_boy New Member

Thanks for the support guys/gals,

I'd like to break into the networking of sides, maintaining servers + routers (creating clusters of servers and maintaning ports of routers etc..) and the like, so its A+, Network+ and perhaps the MCDST.

So is it in that order I should prepare myself to gain my certificates - I live in the London area - where I do sit the exams itself?

Most of what I’ve learnt is via self study, so don’t think I would need to go college and the like, my only main concern is my age being a factor and the lack of experience (coming from manned guarding to IT).

I guess I’m lucky in the sense that I can study whilst doing nights at my job.

Keep up the comments – as they sure help!

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not many peeps go straight into a networking job, you might start out in desktop support or even a corporate helpdesk. Also you could apply to smaller companies where you end up doing everything IT! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There is no such thing as age, if you can do the job the employer will hire you. There are people on here a lot older than you or I and have just started their IT careers.

If you are wanting to get into networking the yes A+,N+ and MCDST are the way to go for starters. You wont start of in networking though (unless you are lucky) you will have to start off in technical support maybe on the end of a telephone doing remote support and work your way into networking from there.

To sit the exams you register with pearson vue or prometric on their websites you will then be able to find your nearest test centre(s).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. icon_boy

icon_boy New Member

many thanks, for clearing things up - I feel more confident now,

When I mentioned breaking into servers maintence, I meant mid - long term objective:D

10. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

welcome and good luck

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums…

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!