Hi all! I am new here, looking for some info..

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by pyro, Jan 31, 2007.

1. pyro

pyro New Member

I'v been looking around a bit but I am not much of a lurker...sorry if I asked already answered questions!

I have droped out of computer science at the uni (don't flame me dudes! lol), I needed just one exam to pass to final year but, it took me 4 years to realise I was training to do something I didn't like. Too bad for me! I am sure some of you know about comp sci, it's a lot of everything in it, very broad, and at times too much theory and no practical stuff at all. I have been using a computer for a few years now, since 99, I guess I know what most people know, installing windows, troubleshooting, whatever goes wrong I can usualy fix it.

I am guessing a career after MCDST is working to troubleshoot computers, as a technitian, right? I don't want to be programming decryption algorithms from 9-5, I had enough of that :dry heh

I called a couple of it training companies, they quoted me an MCDST at around £2k! No way I am paying that kind of money! From what I gather, if I want to do it by myself, I can pick the 271, and 272 books for around £60ish? Even less used...then another £230 for the exams if I don't use the discount vouchers some people talk about, that's £290 in total, but is that MCDST certified? What are the 290 and 291 exams that some users talk about?

Now I have untill August to be MCDST certified, and I don't want to spend more than £500 at it, if that's possible...?

Thanks guys :)

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF!

I can understand your opinion on Computer Science when i first started i was on a degree path - 2 years and and after studying C++ Data Structures for 10 weeks I said no way im doing this for another 2 - I applied to Uni's in the Uk and Im now doing Computer Networks long story why i didnt do Computer Networks from the start (for political reasons i couldnt! :biggrin ).

I think you making a BIG mistake leaving uni. I think you need to sit down and think what happened and what went wrong. If you determined not to finish Computer Science have you maybe thought of finishing something else at another uni? i.e. graduate from your current uni with an HND then move into another uni for a final year to maybe do a "top-up" degree? The degree will be valueable in the long run and its well worth finishing plus if you go to an employer and tell him i did leave uni after this because of this - in his mind he will say "oh i wonder if he will leave in the middle of a major project?" sounds stupid but holding a degree tells people you have commitment to start and finish something.

As for MCDST yes you can do it for less than 500. But first you need to sit down and ask what you want to do in IT - what kind of a job you looking at? Dont phone any more people about courses because at the stage you are right now with the confussion im sure if they told you "X" course was good right now you would take it. 290 and 291 are Microsoft courses - not much use on their own so just think of what i wrote above and ask questions - their plenty of wise heads on this forum to get you back on track.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. pyro

pyro New Member

If I had a degree right now it would be very good, I am 22 and I have friends my age who already are in good jobs, it aint nice!

It was a bad desicion to go to uni in the first place, I have a certificate of higher education, you can get this if you pass your first year. With this I can go to a computer related course and start from the second year, but for now I want to get a job that's related to the MCDST certificate. I do not intent to stay in the IT for a long time actually, I want to start saving up a bit, so I can change my career (well not that I have one now.. :blink) to something different.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well in light of your recent remarks I can tell you IT isnt for you mate. You cant just get the MCDST and get job its not as simple as that - the if the reason you staying IT is to make money - you in for a shocker. We have guys with 5 years+ experience, degrees and certs from here to the moon and cant find a job. I suggest you save your money and your time and look into something else because in the end you going to end up wasting both.

JMO 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, you could do the MCDST by self-study, but all the certification is going to do is increase your chances to get an entry-level job. It certainly won't get you a job making big bucks... that comes only after you've gotten a few years of experience. The money in IT is good... if you can survive at the beginning until you finally advance in your career. If your heart isn't in IT, you won't make it to that stage simply because those who DO have a passion for what they do will be the ones who advance in their field.

I can tell you that Zim is spot-on with his analysis of what employers will see when they view your college situation. Seeing that someone quit college and didn't start back up raises a red flag in my mind. Like Zim said, I would question whether that person would leave in the middle of a project simply because they didn't like it or because it was difficult. There's something to be said about seeing something through to completion. If you leave your Uni experience off your CV except your Certificate of Higher Education, prospective employers will wonder what the heck you've been doing for the past couple years.

Best of luck to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mate you need to seriously start thinking straight. Do you know what this *something different* career is? If you do, I would strongly suggest that you make that your goal now. Why on earth you would want to get into an IT entry level job, if IT is not your log term goal baffles me :blink

To succeed in IT you need these attributes - talent, commitment, a passion to learn and a willingness to work for a low salary until you have established a reputation for yourself. It is not just some easy job that you can do for a while on a whim. IT is a profession which requires dedication and hard graft.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Oh and if I were you, I would definitely find the time to finish that degree!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I can see where your coming from Mate.

However Zimbo and Pete do have a point. If your were in your first year at Uni then fair play go for something different but to be so close to finishing it. Well stick it out, it will be worth it in the end.

Also, you have got to look at it from a Employers point of view, how are you going to account for those years? Unless you tell the employeer you were at Uni and then when they ask what was your grade and you say i dropped out because I was bored.:blink

Hmm that ain't going to go down to well with employers!8)

Most of my mates and including myself were fed up with education, it feels like you have spent all your life in Education while I was at Uni and then I would see some of mates driving around in fancy cars, wearing trendy clothes and going on Holidays, they had money to spend and we were pennyless.

It's not easy mate, but hang on in there, untill you finish.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I done similar to yourself a few years back

done HND in business at college for 2 yrs passed in 2000

after 2 yrs I didnt want to do another year as with 3 kids needed a job pronto (I worked through college aswell)

In 2003 I got accepted to uni on a 2yr Business IT BA course but after 6 months I was totally not enjoying it and tbh not learning as much as I wanted. Marks were bordering 1st/high second so no problem there but my heart just wasnt in it so I left.

Luckily I already had a trade as a chef so went back to that but have now been back in IT for last 12 months, just secured a 2nd line desktops role and doing CCNA and MCSA/MCSE server 2003 (eventually lol)

CCNA is with a training provider and MCP's I am doing self study

I would rather not be studying and enjoying myself but I know I need the quals and knowledge to progress within IT, I dont want to be earning peanuts in 10yrs when my kids have left home, I want to be earning good money, with good quals and experience and responsibilities that go with it. Oh and a nice car and holiday every year

the bottom line is set yourself a goal, even a timescale (keep it fairly open though) and then stick to it. Make sure you know what you want to do, I have spent the last 10 years or so really deciding what I want and its 10 years wasted although I have gained invaluable experience in this time.

Good Luck and I am sure if you are focussed and committed enough then whatever you decide will work out :)

WIP: N+ & CCNA