Hi All - Good Afternoon

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SteveJohnson, Jul 21, 2005.

1. SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson New Member

Hi all,

Came across your forum through Google.

I am 20 years old and an experienced website designer but with no certification. This is really just a hobby, I have been using computers since I was 10 (remember all those BB's before the 'Yahoo' generation?!) and been working on websites since I was 13.

I am looking to work towards my MCSE and I am looking for advice on what courses I should take before I go for the big one! I have begineer experience on XP/Security/Networks, maybe intermediate on the XP platform.

I am also looking for a Cisco certification after I have completed my MCSE, I have the funds to start a course asap and I am looking for a self-study course as I am in currently in full-time employment (I've got to be able to pay for the exams some how!)

I understand that people with little experience on networks etc that gain a 'paper' MCSE have trouble finding a job, but with my determination I feel I can get a job in IT no problem, even if I have to start off from the bottom of the ladder.

So ultimately I'm looking for advice on where to start on gaining my first certification.

Hope your all having a good day and my introduction is thorough enough!

Take care all.

Steve

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hi, Steve. Welcome aboard and good luck with the MCSE. Nice that you're determined not to be a "paper cert"!! :respct

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Steve. Welcome to CF. Hope you stay around.
    I see that you have been involved with computers for some time but say it is just a hobby- good luck with the career change.

All the best

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Steve. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Steve - welcome from me too. Have a flick around our relevant boards to start with. There's loads of advice already from folks in the same boat as yourself. If you have any specific questions to pitch, then throw them in - the Guys will be more than glad to help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson New Member

Hi all thanks for the warm welcomes.

what course do you reccomend I do first to get a basic understanding for the MCSE, I was thinking along the lines of A+ ? What do you think?

Cheers

Steve

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums Steve :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thats the general advice we would give out, but depending on how much experience of the PC environment you already have, it may be worth going straight to the Network+.

Thats just my 2€ tho - more opinions will certainly follow :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steve,

If you want to go down the MCSE road the A+ is a good grounding. The other thing is if you have been "playing with Computers" for years you will probably find it straight forward.

Best of luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. There are a few of us around that still remember when a 4MHz XT with a 2400 modem was blindingly fast, not to mention the monochrome screens to view everything in.

The A+ sounds like the best place to start followed by the Network+.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685