Hi all could i get your opinion on my cv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by scott-jordy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi all on the forums being getting a little nervous on my c.v and was hoping you might give your opinions on it please if you have a minute. Sorry for the Essay that follows :rolleyes:

The reason i was a little nervous is because this is my first ever c.v has my previous jobs have never needed one ie: warehouse/shop work.

Ive been disabled since around 2000 through hand injury and still am disabled for life,also I have been a single parent for quite a few years too which has made things a little hard to juggle,which has made me think i may not get employed due to the long time out of work.

Around 2006 when surgeons couldnt do anymore to fix my hand I decided to start looking in to new careers at first originally decided on I.T but jobcenters guided me towards plumbing/gas has more of an inspector type of job I did try to do it and passed relevant exams portfolios up to a point, but in the real world soon realised there was more physical work to it which I just cant do.

2 years on decided to go back to my original plan I.T in a support type of role and have been gaining the qualifications,having recently just passed my comptia A+ I decided its time to start looking towards a job and i'm posting today to get a few tips off the gurus of the workforce on my cv has it may look a bit scarce and not to I.T focused.

Thank you all:D

Attached Files:

Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just gave it a once over, and these things sprung up:

1. Merge your Qualifications and Education lists into one, there is duplication there.
    2. Split your Employment and training section into 2 sections
    3. Add a reference section, even if you just put "Available on Request".
    4. More of a tip: Always customise the Profile & Career objective per job, do not have a standard entry there for all jobs.

You can look in this part of the forum for more tips, hints and articles on writing the old CV :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks ken great advice,its starting to look better already,I orignally got most off the ideas for it off the forum mixing ideas but knew it could do with a onceover.Great advice its getting there

Thank you:D

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thats a good start Scotty, 2 pages is the max most IT managers want to skim over. I think Ken has pretty much said it all. Once you pass your first Microsoft exam don't forget to put an MCP badge on your CV. It looks the part. I'm just working on getting my MCSA badge for mine myself. Good luck with the job hunting and don't be put off it at first you don't succeed, its a tough time for any industry right now as you can imagine. Just stick at it. James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Do you get different badges for different certs then?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  6. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks james you just gave me another idea with the logo on my cv.

I was just a little worried has it looks quite bare due to being out of work for so long and you always think you may get pushed to bottom of the list ,but has you mention persevere and it should come good in the end.

Ive revised my cv hopefully ill add more has i get more ideas off the forum but you've both been a great help.

Attached Files:

7. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yep off Microsoft you sure do once you complete the requirements for each of their qualifications 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I didn't realise CompTIA give you badges to use also, that looks much better, I'll have to throw my Security + on when I get it

9. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

yes just sign into your comptia.com learning career, and logos to download should be on the left

10. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks again for your help, i think ive got it on my 3rd attempt at last :rolleyes: not to flashy or colourful but just a little bit more than my standard one to stand out.

Maybe this can give a few ideas to other people new to cv's like me and help out.

Thanks for your help ken and james and everyone that pointed me in the right direction.

Attached Files: