Hi all! Advice needed....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Seb, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Seb

Seb New Member

Hi Guys,

Im new around here and would like some advice about which would be the best way to get into the IT field.

Firstly, I have quite a big interest in technology and have shown quite an apptitude for the subject having done various tests and assessments previously. My end goal is to be a network engineer but I understand that this won't happen overnight as I don't have any experience in the IT field and will need to work from the bottom up.

I have approached both NITLC and Computeach who have each quoted me rather large amounts lol! I would like to start off with A+ then progress onto N+ which NITLC stated they could do however at a cost of near on £2,500! Computeach said they don't offer N+ but said I could go with them studying A+ and MCITP for around £1800 over 12 months.

Having found this great forum and looking around I'm a little unsettled about going with a provider now having seen mixed reviews so maybe I could try self study? We a have little boy coming along in September so I would rather not spend out huge amounts on courses where possible hence the possibility of self study.

What do you guys think would be the best route for me to go down in terms of what courses to study which will get me on my way to becoming certified??

I went for an interview recently at my workplace for a IT desktop support analysts (1st & 2nd line) position which I didn't get unfortunately however the feedback I received was very positive and they felt that I would have no difficulty doing the job just I was simply trumpted by another candidate with experience.

Any comments and advice much appreaciated!

Thanks
    Seb

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome Seb,

You've made the right choice in not going for the providers, for an entry level IT Cert - that price is crazy.

You'll be best off getting some self study books and material, and pay for the exams yourself, alot cheaper and you can study at your own pace and take the information in.

Go for the A+ first and then look at the N+

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Seb

Seb New Member

Thanks very much for the reply!

Can you recommend some good material to use? I've ordered the Michael Myers all in one edition which I see is highly recommended here but is there anything else I can use? Mock tests, software etc?

Thanks in advance
    Seb

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Apart from Mike Meyers check out professer messers website he does free videos for the A+,N+, Security+ and 70-680 his videos are great to supplement your studies. Also check out Cisco Network Simulation Software | IT Practice Exams | IT Training | Boson for good practice exam software they cost a bit but they are well worth it and loearning resources in those exams are great too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Seb

Seb New Member

Thank you very much for the links!

I'll be sure to check them out. My aim is to cram in A+ before the baby comes along in September.

Cheers
    Seb