Hi all, A little help needed please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by katiehagon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. katiehagon

katiehagon New Member

Hi all, came across this website whilst investigating the too good to be true UK IT Training, and am not going to waste my time going 4 an interview!
    I have spent 7 years at uni studying Chemistry and after 2 years of job hunting and not getting anywhere, I have decided to change careers and do something that I can see has a future.
    My time at uni introduced me to the world of computers and enjoyed doing my assignment esp ppt pres. so I have decided that web design is my future.
    Could anyone advise on where to go for the best courses, I dont have much money so chaep as possible, I have a little knowledge of computer languages but I would have to start from scratch. I want recognised qualifications and real job potentials.

thanks

2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

For now, Buy a book (or two, or three) on HTML just to start you off. Its like following links on a website really. This HTML book will have references to technologies such as CSS, and tell you that your webpages will be stored on a "server". Get as much as you can from the book, including references to other books. You often find that its best not to spend a fortune on books at the start because you don't actually know what information the book should contain. Its better to get a couple one the basic concept (HTML) so you can gather information as to what it is that you need to learn next.

I would spend at least a couple of weeks doing this (treat it as a job), and then you will be in a better position to make a decision as to what to do next.

If you are green on a topic DO NOT SIGN UP WITH A TRAINING PROVIDER. You should only consider this once you know what the area you are interested in involves.

Take a look at ciwcertified.com, and the CIW thread on this forum for more info.

There are loads of HTML tutorials on the web by the way

Hope this helps

Stuart:D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I have to say that 'web design' seems to be a somewhat crowded profession! This means that you have to be pretty good at it to make money.
    Most important of all is the talent for good design.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi and welcome:D

If you have set your hopes on web design then go for it, dont go with a training provider you will get ripped off especially ones that will say they'll get you a job as long as you pay them thousands in return.

Buy a couple of books with tutorial cds and go from there

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Firstly Katiehagon,

Hi and welcome to CF.

As you may have already established from browsing through the forums, training providers can be very misleading; if you meet with a training provider, take whatever they tell you with a pinch of salt.

If you're serious about web design, bare the following in mind:

1) Alone, especially in web design, certs will not get you a job. You need a strong portfolio of the sites you've built and the languages you've used etc - this will act as your evidence.

2) Most companies won't employ a designer with no commercial experience. How do you get this? - Be prepared to do some voluntary work - charities are always on the look-out for IT professionals (trust me, I've called dozens and always had positive responses!)!

3) To have options in IT, another words choice of jobs, you must stay on top of the software. Be prepared to never stop learning.

There's many many more points that can be added to the above, my advice to you is: do you research, establish what the best route is for you (self study/training provider) and make the most of this forum and other resources on the web.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it means anything, I graduated with a Chemistry degree 10 years ago and encountered the same problems - everyone wanted chemists with Masters degrees, not Bachelors degrees. I'm now an IT professional with a solid career behind me and in front of me. :)

As stated previously, Web design is an extremely competitive field, and it will likely take you a while to get established. Once you do, you will likely do well, if you can survive the "lean years".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Anyways, welcome and good to meet ya.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP