Hey There....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by NightWalker, Apr 4, 2005.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Hi everyone, I am an ex lurker.....
    I have taken the plunge and signed up to do my MCSE with the NITLC. It was reading what people had posted here at certforums about the different training providers, that led me to the NITLC. I had a narrow escape from South West I.T Skills who wanted to get me on a the 2000 track course. I met with the Computeach guy, who was ok, but I decided to go with the NITLC as I get the 2003 MCSE, an A+, Network+ etc all for less £££ that Computeach, and their reputation is far better in my opinion. So.... My first lot of books should be arriving next week so I can get stuck in. It all starts with the A+, and I am really looking forward to it :) I got my NITLC card the other day, and have been to the StudentNet and had a look round. It seems ok, but certforums has been a big help so far in helping me decide who to train with, and hopefully will be able to help over the next few years as I work towards getting all my certifications. :)
    I have a question about operating systems. Typical huh.... been here 5 minutes and already asking questions :wink: I am getting stuff ready for my course. I already had my main computer, a laptop with XP Pro. I bought a second-hand desktop that also has XP Pro on it and a Netgear router to connect everything together with. The copy of XP Pro on my desktop, I think was an upgrade from Windows NT, as the Windows folder in C: is called Winnt. Its quite a bad copy of the operating system, a few things are corrupt and not working properly. I didn't get an install cd or any thing with it. I want to get a good rounded experience with windows to help in my new career, so rather than have two machines running XP Pro I thought it would be a good idea to get a different operating system for machine 2. But what ? Should I go for Windows 98.... I'm thinking Windows 2000 maybe.... I am going to dual boot it with Suse Linux, but other than XP what's the best Windows system to get some experience with ? Or should I just stick with the copy of XP and work at fixing it up ?
    Any ideas would be great. I hope to get to know all of you over the next couple of years. There is probably going to be much work to do to get my MCSE.....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Nightwalker. Glad you decided to stop lurking and come into the light. Hope we can give you a hand with your pursuits. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Nightwalker welcome to Certforums. The winnt folder could indicate either Windows 2000 or NT as a previous installation. Why not try puttng 2k on it then wipe it and do 98, all good experience and you will be getting plenty of practice in the future anyway:)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the day shift.:D

I'd go with what Phil said, and wipe it, put 98 on it and then work with upgrading and full installs of later versions. Great fun and definately a learning experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Nightwalker,

Welcome to the forums! I see you've posted also at NITLC! You should get good advice from both forums!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What they said, m8 - welcome aboard :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. NightWalker

Thanks everyone for the welcome. :)
    Thanks for your thoughts on my operating system dilemma. I think I will format the hard drive on my desktop and get a copy of Windows 98. Run that for 6 months or so, and then upgrade it to Windows 2000 etc. It seems logical to start with the older operating system and work forward from there.
    Yep, I did post there too. You must be a fellow NITLC student :)

9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

A big welcome from me too mate, glad you signed up. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Certainly am...not long to go though!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. NightWalker

How did you find them as a training provider ? Was all the course material and workshops etc up to the standard one would expect from the £££ they charge. I think I made the right choice going with NITLC, but some feedback from someone who is near the end of their course would be good.