Hey peeps. Just to saying Hi!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by PadawanTechie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Hello IT crowd,

I'm a IT graduate thinking of going for my certifications to get me employable, but haven't got a clue where to start. So if you see this message and you have the info I have the sponge like brain to absorb it.

Thanks to all,:D

Certifications: Bsc (Media Technology), A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. brownboy05

brownboy05 New Member

iam a newbie, well sort of. i think i've been inactive for so long, just wanna get back into the cert business!!

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST. All are solid entry-level certifications that will help you get into the IT field.

That said, don't wait until you're certified to start looking... start looking now while you're studying. As you achieve certifications, add them to your CV and keep looking. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums. Do yourself a favour bud - ask the mods here to let you change your username. Your Hotmail account will get even more rinsed with spam than it does already - this is a really highly trafficked, well-indexed forum :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice its a great start. I'm just a bit perplexed with where, when, how long and how much these courses would be. It seems there are loads of companies out there that will offer these courses for a price. One place I've seen is Just IT that seem to have a good package and help with recruitment afterwards.

Whats your views?

P.S. Thanks Zebulebu I look into having my name changed!!!

7. BosonMichael

There's no reason to purchase expensive training courses. All you need is a study guide or two and, perhaps, a practice exam to see if you're ready. I'd recommend Mike Meyers' All-in-One A+ Study Guide (Sixth Edition if taking it before Feb 28 2010, Seventh Edition if taking it afterwards). If you need hands-on labs to practice, I'd recommend James Pyles' PC Technician Street Smarts (First Edition if before Feb 28, Second Edition if after).

See all those certifications in my signature? I didn't take a training class for ANY of them. Over time, you can do the same.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Thanks for getting me off on my feet. The amount of money Just IT are charging does seem a bit excessive, somewhere in the region of £6000 which I don't have!!! What I'm hoping is to get a trainee or apprenticeship role somewhere that allows me to develop gradually but I'm not holding my breath. I think there are college courses that are relatively cheap so I'll look into that.

**stupid question alert** What is the significance of the date Feb 28 2010, I'm assuming a software update maybe!!?

9. BosonMichael

You don't need to pay them to get that! :) Just be persistent and determined in your search for an IT job.

That's the date that the old A+ exams (601+602/603/604) retire. The old A+ exams are currently running simultaneous with the new A+ exams (701+702). You can take either the old or the new - doesn't matter which... but the old ones won't be around much longer.

10. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Hi Boson Michael,

How have you been and more importantly how was the Xmas I hope all good.

Sorry for the late reply life has had a few obsticles.

I've finally got a hold of the CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition and am working through it so thank you for that suggestion.

However do you suggest that I go for Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition and work through this simultaneously?

I'm hoping to go for the N+ and A+ together. Do you think this is a wise move?

Enjoy your holidays and speak soon.

11. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Try doing 1 at a time, it may only confuse you doing 2 at once.
    A+ followed by N+ and MCDST.
    It does of course depend on how well you absorb all the info you need to pass the exams to how you study?
    Oh and good luck.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  12. Rosco316

Rosco316 New Member

I definitely agree what these guys have said, if your going for your certs go for one at a time the A+ is a lot of work in terms of studying, its very easy to get complacent and underestimate what you need to know and fall flat on your face. Taking on N+ at the same time would not be a good idea.

If your looking to save money then you can just go with the books, i'm doing it through pitman training which has the mike meyers lectures online as well which are very helpful in tandem with the books. They also allow you to sit down with their IT guys too if you make an appointment and are REALLY stuck but i've never had to do this yet.

Good Luck!

Certifications: CompTIA A+,MCDST,MCSA, MCTS:Win7, 2008
    WIP: Exchange 2010
  13. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

I'm deep into the studying and fully appreciate what you guys are saying.

I do need to take my time with this stuff thanks for the good advice guys.

I'll look into that sudy guide Rosco sounds like it could definately give me some help but I doubt I'll be able to sit down with the instructors as I'm in London, UK.:p

Always great advice guys keep up the good fight!!8)

14. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

15. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Wow there's alot of stuff at Prof. Messer and it seems all free.

I'm trying to get through it now thanks for the heads up!!!

16. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Cough cough! let me wipe of the dust of my keyboard its been a while!

Let me first thank everyone who gave advice. Thanks to everyone’s help I've become a proud owner of a A+ certification!!!!:D:D!!!!

I've had the cert for a while and now thinking its time I pulled my finger out and go for this N+. What is the general consensus on studying material. Is Mike Meyers the alpha geek himself still the best source to go for a study guide?

Although I very much enjoyed his material, I did find it at times to waffle on and not get straight down to the point. And the practice exams provided had a few errors included which provided frustration.

Does anyone have a good recommendation?

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A new thread in the CompTIA forum might get a better responce, plus I've sent you a PM re your username. Using your email address really isnt a good idea as it makes it viewable to anyone that might view this site.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  18. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Will do on both counts.

Cheers