hey im stuck at VLANs

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kobem, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I decided to study CCNA again then begun all preparances for it. There was no problem till VLANs.

The main problem in that section is concerning with IP addresses assigned to VLANs (on the ports
    of switches).

Yeah switches have access ports and hosts with VLANs assigned to these ports. For instance,
    think of a switch with VLAN1 assigned to that switch from port 2 to 4. And VLAN2 assigned
    from port 5 to 8. 1- You know these VLANs must have IP addresses ? (an obligatory)

2- These IP addresses are IP addresses of each host connected to switch?

3- If answer of the second question is positive, there has to be a problem because of for example VLAN1
    CONTAINS 2 hosts thereby two different addresses. How can this be possible?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kobem we have said this to you before you went away on military service. The CCNA is beyond your level you need to be studying Network + first this will be more of your level.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Quelle Suprise!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I give up.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What is this mythic creature of VLAN you speak about?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

VLANs kobem are a logical way of putting computers together regardless of their physical location. So taking this we can have more than one IP address in a group because VLANs are a logical group.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

lol I like that one BM.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Look up "router on a stick" to blow your mind

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? :blink

Just for the record you can have one port on a switch which has multiple IPs with VLAN tags and then the switch itself can control which port is assigned to what VLAN, this can even be done on MAC addreses if you want to patch IP phones and PCs into the same physical switch but have a VLAN for each type of device.

Have you thought about starting on the Network+ first? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

umm what is with all the slating guys? :eek:

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought my answer was ok. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Guess you weren't around the last couple of weeks. Read his recent threads Zimbo and all will become clear.

But to save some time, find a nearby wall and start banging your head into it. :)

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah i see... its a little clear now.. 8)

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not to mention the last couple years...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

For me this is VLAN's also difficult Kobem, but read the chapter about vlan's very good and understand every line. Look also good to the simulations in the curriculum. It takes time, but read, reread, do packet tracer, read the whole chapter, read the chapter again, do packet tracers again and it gonna be all right!

It's good explained in the course but it just takes time to understand when it's new for you... Why everyone laughs with him? He wanna learn something new and ask a question.

So every vlan has an apart subnet, and the pc's on the ports of that vlan have IP adresses in that subnet of the VLAN. You can say the vlan adress is the networkadress of the subnet from the vlan. (am i right??, just start studying vlan's)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This thread is over a year old UD :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Unemployed Diogenes

ow sorry, i was google on ccna + vlan :biggrin

i still wanna now if he understand now or not! :twisted:

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

and kobem doesn't have books in his country or thats what he said when we told him to get the network + book.

what are you struggling with when it comes to Vlans?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. Unemployed Diogenes

Now i don't see why there are no tagged frames allowe for a native vlan. It confuse me because the frames go over the same trunk lines as the tagged frames for a specific Vlan (in general the fact that English is not my native language make it the most difficult, gonna search tomorrow to dutch pages TOMORROW).
    Time for football manager 2010 now :biggrin

I like the CCNA becomes more challenging now at this point.

edit: i think i understand it, the native vlan is for devices which are not member of a vlan (with thx to dutch wikipedia)
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010