Hey im new, advice on A+.

Discussion in 'A+' started by david900, Jan 23, 2011.

1. david900

david900 New Member

Hey everyone!

im new to the forum and just about to start studying for my A+. Ive recently finished doing the Strata Pc Configuration course and now obviously looking to take the next step up to the A+. I was just hoping for some tips and advice :D

From looking around on this site and other ive already decided to get the Mike Meyers book which everyone raves about, but i was just wondering weather i should purchase a cheap desktop computer which i can take apart and build back up etc during the course. have other people done this?

Ive also looked into some software called Lab Sim, has anyone heard of this or recommend it? it looks like a useful bit of software from the videos i have watched.

lastly does anyone have any advice or tips on the best way of reading the 1000+ pages in the books and taking all the information in. im guessing im just asking for some study guide tips if possible?

thanks everyone

dave

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

hi dave,
    i'm currently studying the a+ course but i am doing from the idiots guide series. It has good reviews but i've since learned about thi site and think i should have got the meyer book.
    I have some lab sims on my cd that came with the book but it's mainly exercises to do on your computer with out the need to buy software i.e command line attribute settings etc.
    My personal way of learning is to just read the whole book a bit at a time, take the re cap test at the end and then once i've read the whole book (only 100 pages left :-)) take a practicetest that came with the book and see what areas i need to re read.
    The stuff at the beginning you may already know having done a course previous (i knew most of the 1st 2 parts from playing with computers) so that saves a chunk of bits you don't need to learn ut read it any way!
    Also i'm going to get a cheap old pc to strip to parts then re install everything including motherboard. it's one thing reading how to do it but another actually doing it and having a working pc at the end of it.
    Oh and visit professor messer's website it has free a+ training videos.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

read the whole book from cover to cover do not skip anything.

When I did the A+ that was the 601 and 602 the Meyers book had sections called IT technician which relate to the 602 exam but that did not mean only read those parts when studying for that exam it just meant that those subjects may appear on that exam but it didn't mean they wouldn't appear on the first exam.

When I studied I read the whole book like it was a story then I went through it again taking notes on important points and highlighten bits that I found difficult to get my head a round and I read on the week leading upto my exams.

I also use practice exams from transcender and preplogic. After I did my A+ I had the the chance to revoew Bosons A+ practice exams and they were far better than the preplogic exams so I would recommend you use Bosons exams to gague how ready you are for the exams.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. david900

david900 New Member

thanks for the replies, very helpful. Think im going to go ahead and get myself a cheap desktop pc, found a few going on ebay (pentium 4) for between £20-40 which aint too much really.

How long did you guys wait from starting studying to taking your exams? im thinking im going to give myself between 3-5 months to study then book my exams whenever i feel ready around that time. would be great if i could get it done sooner tho.

Also sucks about having to renew the certification every 3 years now dont it! wish i'd done this a couple of years ago when i first thought about it :( ah well.

Thanks for the help tho guys,

talk again soon!

dave

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Everyone is different, some people could just walk into the exams and take them without any study some people could take years.

Mike Meyers actually says in the book to book the exams now and set yourself a goal to work towards. Some people tale one exam then wait several months before doing the next one. I took both exams on the same day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i'll be doing mine when i feel ready, i've been reading the book in my lunch hour at work every day and a bit on my day off along with watching the professor messer vids and doing the labs that i had the equipment for. I think i'll be ready in about 1 more month then i just need to save up and get the exams taken, probably one at a time as i have a mortgage. Just study at a pace you feel comfortable with as if you pressure yourself, i think you're more likely to give up. If you have a busy day or just not "in the mood" you won't take in the information as well if at all so take it easy but don't take that as an excuse to slack off. good luck

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  7. gsword

gsword Bit Poster

hey guys

just to let you know when doing my A+ i used the following site
    http://www.professormesser.com

It is an amazing website for both A+ and N+

just thought i would let you guys know.

Certifications: Bsc Hons Business Computing, Comptia A+
    WIP: N+, CCNA
  8. dblight

dblight Bit Poster

Some good Windows 7 resources on that site too. Thanks

Certifications: 70-620:Configuring Windows Vista Client
    WIP: 70-640 / 70-642 / 70-646
  9. gsword

gsword Bit Poster

no problem
    keep an eye on that website as he is constantly updating it.:)

Certifications: Bsc Hons Business Computing, Comptia A+
    WIP: N+, CCNA