Hey hey!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DaveFishBulb, Nov 6, 2007.

1. DaveFishBulb

DaveFishBulb New Member

Hi all,

After lying around in a pile of computer bits playing games, lurking in chatrooms and running large downloads round the clock for the last few years, I thought it was about time I used my accumulated knowledge to earn some sort of money. Since employers probably won't take my word for it that I know what a PSU is, I realised I might need proof of some kind. So I wish to earn couple of certificates, A+ and N+ should do to start with I'd assume. Then I'll see where I can go from there.

I've joined this forum as a result of doing research into the quality of a certain training provider I recently signed up with. After reading all the negativity surrounding them I've decided to cancel and buy a book and fill the gaps in my knowledge myself. From the posts I've read here it seems like the best [and cheapest] option. I've also picked out the Mike Meyers A+ Specializations Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams 220-603 & 220-604) to study with based on some of your recommendations although it won't be available until Feb 2008. Is this a wise choice? I don't expect to be sitting the exam any time before then even if I had the book now and I'm assuming there are other ways to study for A+ without having to buy and older edition for now.

David

WIP: A+, N+ and beyond.
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :D

I would reccomend that you do the A+ and then N+ the MCDST.

But get the CompTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Myeres 6th edition, the Specialization one you have picked is for only the 220-603 and 220-604 exams they are usually only done if you are looking to get into remote support and the like and are usually only taken by people asked to by an employer.

Another good book to get is PC Technician streets smarts by James Pyles (tripwire45 on this forum) its a lab based book so you can practice your skills by using the examples in it.

For the A+ you have to pass 220-601 Essentials (mandatory) then your choice of 220-602,603,604 most people do 602 (used to be called hardware)

And you are right to self study, training providers are a rip off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Dave:biggrin glad you joined. I must also say you made the right choice too to start with the A+ through self study. Lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF Dave. The advice above is solid :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As stated above, you don't really need the Specializations book. Most people simply take the 601 Essentials and 602 IT Tech exams.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009