Hey Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Georgekarno, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Georgekarno

Georgekarno New Member

Hi I'm new to here and have only a CCNA, i say only because I have found companies won't even look at me without experience. I'm stuck wondering what to do really as I haven't got the funds to pay £3000 for another qualification. I have heard that you can just download the content or buy a book, but would taking CCNP or whatever the best increase my chances and if so the cheapest way to go about it.

Thanks George

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Without experience, companies won't look at you regardless of the number of Cisco certifications you have... because jobs that require Cisco knowledge are given to techs with experience, and Cisco knowledge isn't required for entry-level IT jobs.

I would recommend that you take the CCNA off your CV and pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCTS for Vista or Windows 7)... all of which are solid, entry-level certifications that will help you get an entry-level IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Why would you think getting even higher certifications would help you get a job if people already are passing you up because you have the CCNA with no experience? I would recommend taking a step back and get the A+ and Network+ and possibly the MCDST.

4. BosonMichael

Great minds... lol! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Georgekarno

Georgekarno New Member

Thank you for the reply I'll have to look into those, how about MCSE or do you think that A+ or Network+ be a more desired attribute?

if so how much would you be looking at for those courses?

6. BosonMichael

The MCSE is designed for people who have approximately 12-18 months of experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment... not just 12-18 months in IT, but 12-18 months actually doing server administration... which is not something you'll typically start out doing.

Entry-level certifications are more desired by employers who have entry-level jobs to offer. The MCSE is more desired by employers who need an experienced server administrator. So let's assume that you went out and got the MCSE. Without experience, you won't be more desirable to employers than someone who has server administration experience whether they're certified or not. And those people are out there looking for jobs, particularly in this economy.

So, you might ask, why not get the MCSE or the CCNA or the CCNP to make yourself look good to entry-level employers? The problem is that none of those certifications are relevant to entry-level tech jobs. Entry-level employers don't need a server admin or a router admin... they need someone to do basic tech support. They'll end up passing you over for someone more appropriate for the role. Thus, being overcertified isn't a good thing... that's why McDonalds doesn't hire people with Masters Degrees to be fry cooks.

Again, I would recommend some solid entry-level certifications like the ones I've already recommended.

You don't need courses... all you need is a couple of study guides, some spare computer gear to practice with and, perhaps, some practice exams to see if you're ready. All this can be purchased for a fraction of the cost of a structured classroom training course.

7. Georgekarno

Georgekarno New Member

Having a look I think Network+ is what I'm aiming for and will take your advice although could you just use a Cisco emulator like cisco packet tracer to substitute equipment that I current wouldn't beable to get hold of.

8. BosonMichael

Hands-on experience with a simulator doing a bunch of labs isn't the same as experience administering routers in a real-world environment... and it's not gonna help you get a router admin job without IT experience. You're gonna have to start at the bottom - just like everyone else - unless you've got an uncle who is an IT Director who is willing to take a chance on someone without experience.

Network+ is certainly worth doing. Any reason as to why you'd want to avoid the A+? Hardware administration is typically performed by entry-level techs...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  9. Georgekarno

Georgekarno New Member

No reason really was just thinking more along the lines of networking but from the sounds of your reaction that I'll need basic all round tech qualification for an entry level position than just networking on its own. As you can gather I haven't the greatest idea how get into the market.

I have rang around alot of companies asking for work experience and to only be declined/mainly not hearing back once I send them my CV, so without sounding stupid I'm stuck. I guess having only a year till my CCNA expires doesnt help either.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum George 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Is it possible to start in I.T with a network job? I got into networking once I had done a couple of years working as a deployment engineer. The knowledge I gained working in the field has greatly aided me when working on networks. I would recommend the Network + and A+ as a route to your first I.T job... You just need to get your foot in the door 1st, and then decide which route you would like to pursue, you will get there in the end.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  13. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  14. Georgekarno

Georgekarno New Member

Thanks for the replies they have really help and I have ordered mike meyers A+ book 702 i think it is. Any other Resources would be greatful, also I was lucky enough to randomly find a volenteer position in my town for IT Technicians which is very rare and am on the case as it would really appeal on my CV.

15. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  16. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF! A+ is a good grounding!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple