Hey everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by HarryOakley, Nov 5, 2009.

1. HarryOakley

HarryOakley New Member

Firsty, thank you all for saving me lots of money.
    I've come here, as a lot of others probably have, after searching google for information on a certain TP (computrain-uk).
    I have recently started looking for work and the idea was that anything I get would be great. Thats when I stumbled upon a job looking for MCSEs, whether qualified or not, where they would train the ones who weren't. I got into contact and have had the notorious 'phone interview', which was after a discussion with 'Maurice' who actually did advise me that they wanted people with more experience for the MCSE qual. but that they also had openings that would lead to a job as a web developer, which required no experience.
    After a couple of days he phoned me back saying that they hadn't quite decided who would gain the place on the course - it was between me (a 17yr old with NO experience or relevent qual.) and a 45yr old bloke with shed loads of experience which I was told wasn't of much use as a web developer. He phoned me later the same day to tell me that I "came out on top".
    I was supposed to be hearing from him again tomorrow to register. Don't get me wrong, I was going to make sure that I got a water tight contract written up and signed before giving any money, but now i think I'm going to ignore his call completely.
    I will say as well; the most appealing part to me was the guaranteed job and the end but it's clear that that definitely isn't what you get.

I am, however, still looking to get into IT so any advice on which qualifications to get first would be good. I think I'd be able to give the self learning option a good go.

Cheers,
    Harry Oakley

2. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Welcome Harry! Just like to say you're in about the same situation i am at the moment.

I cant figure out what kind of job you want in IT from your post but i assume you're keen on being a web developer? If thats so the only relevant certifications i know of are the CIWs (they have their own section in this forum) and also the Adobe certification for Dreamweaver.
    I'm personally going for the technician side of things but IMO being a web developer is more of a talent/skill that really can only be backed up by a portfolio of your works.

If however due to my current insomnia i have misread your post, the usual starting certifications for going into any of the other kinds of IT jobs are usually the A+,N+ and the MCDST as they're probably touted as the best starting foundation to your certs.

WIP: A+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security