Hey everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Andy L, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

I found this forum by chance through a random Google search and after reading a few very useful and informative threads on here, I couldn't join quickly enough!

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from you guys and eventually getting my foot in the door in a desktop support or networking role :)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

what are you looking to study?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

I want to do the MCSE at some point in the future, but I guess I'll need some experience first, which I don't yet have. I'll probably start a new thread asking for advice in the Employment forum soon...

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and with regards to not having a experience yet you'd be well off starting with the A+ cert and then the N+ and MCDST. I would also start looking on www.jobsite.co.uk, monster.com and www.jobserve.co.uk for 1st line IT support helpdesk roles as they don't require lots of hands on experience.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said.

Bear in mind that Microsoft recommend that you have ones years real work experience in administering desktop and networked operating systems before doing the MCSE, also if you have a search on CF you will find threads from people who have got the MCSE but no experience and no one will give them a job. There is a reason for this and its because the MCSE is supposed to be done by people who are in the job already i.e professionals.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

Whoops, I'd already gone and started a new thread before seeing your replies in this one - apologies!

And regarding the MCSE - yep, that's what I suspected...

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

As others have mentioned, go for the A+ and start looking for an entry-level IT job NOW. If you get the A+ before you find a job, add it to your CV and keep looking. You might consider doing the Network+ and/or MCDST after the A+, but that should be as certified as you get without having some experience. :)

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!