Hey everybody

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Benson, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Benson

Benson New Member

Hi all!

I'v been browsing for a while and got ALOT of very helpful information so i decided i should get registered and try to contribute. :biggrin

Around 18 months ago i started the CIW Website Manager course through Scheidegger/SkillsTrain. A big waste of money as iv found out but there we go, i wont look back. I've just passed the 1D0-510 CIW Foundation exam and iv got the next exam booked in for next week which is the Java Script Fundamentals Exam so im steadily working my way through it.

I rather mistakenly thought i would be able to get a job with these CIW certifications, after finding out that's not the case iv decided to start working towards the entry level A+ exams. 220-601 and 220-602. I was thinking about doing the Network+ or Security+ next and then going from there.

From what i have gathered this would be my best option. Could anyone comment on that please?

I've also just ordered the Mike Meyers A+ All-In-One book so i can get started.

I only realy know Basic Networking, HTML, CSS and basic JavScript and Pearl so i feal i have a long road ahead of me.

Brilliant forum by the way, very helpful :)

Thanks!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

welcome:)

for doing website design it might be an idea to create a portfolio so you can show it prospective employers.

As for the A+ etc it may be a good idea to get those and get a job in 1st line support whilst you are trying to get into web design

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Welcome, good luck with the studies :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't make the same mistake twice: *no* certification will get you a job. Certainly certifications can make you more attractive to employers... but they don't automagically qualify you to do a job. If they did, we'd all go out and pass the CCIE and make bajillions.

The certifications you should take depend on what you want to do. If you want to become a Web designer, you should learn how to build Web sites and create an e-portfolio of sites you've built... and the CIW won't hurt your prospects any! If you want to become an IT tech, the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications are the way to go.

I wouldn't pursue both paths... while there may be light Web work as a tech and light tech work as a designer, by and large, the two paths are quite separate.

Security+ will be helpful later in your career... pursue the other certifications first. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Benson

Benson New Member

Thank you all for the welcomes and messages :)

I've just applied for a 1st Line Support Job to start gaining some experience, this promises to include training and sounds perfect for what ism looking for. I'm looking at doing both this sort of work why i get my qualifications. Certainly not going for one more than the other, rather a balance of the two if i can. It's not too easy finding these sort of jobs as both want the A+ qualifications as a minimum but im getting there :)

Although i started with a web design course, my ambitions have changed, lol. I'm looking more into the networking/security side now. I've always wanted to get into C++ but i feal its out of my boundaries. This isn't ideal i know, but at least its something extra to add to the CV. But to be honest, id be happy in a job that works with most IT sectors.

Thanks again for all the comments :D

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Mafishioso

Mafishioso New Member

Hi Benson, I'm a newbie too!... And I think i'll gonna like it here...

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum :)

12. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hello and welcome:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)