Hey all .. Thinking of getting into IT...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Bigsmak, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Bigsmak

Bigsmak New Member

Hey.. was thinking of a career in IT, so was looking around and spoke to Computeach.. Then thought I would research the net! ... That brought me to you guys..

I am also saying, you all look very handsome and intelligent today (not in a trying to hit on you way).. but in a friendly, hello I'm new way!

So Hi!

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Flattery will get you everywhere. :p

Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Flattery will get you a thwack in the nuts :biggrin

Welcome to the forums - should be a lot on here about Computeach if you have a quick search around. Hope you find what you need and stick around for the show :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Have you considered the self study route?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Bigsmak

Bigsmak New Member

Reading through everything now

This seems to be the "way of the Board"

------

Me, well I am a salesperson with an Oil Industry background. Was looking to get into IT, possible as a Freelance web designer in my own time for some extra bucks!. I don't have any IT qualifications, but am smart and can study. Hence my meeting with Computeach...

This forum makes interesting reading for these companies.. I have now checked other forums as well. Might just give them a miss..

The threads on self study here are amazing!

8. Qs

It is! Self study > Expensive training providers. Tis cheaper and better. :)

------
    :biggrin...

...I think I've had too much sugar and coffee so please excuse my attempt at humour.

Glad you're finding the forums useful.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard.

10. Bigsmak

Bigsmak New Member

Tis ok,

I see what your getting at here! Forum is very useful. Thanks

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and welcome to CF:sunny

this is just my opinion and I'm sure if you do your research on CF and on google you will find some feed back on Computeach. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  13. Bigsmak

Bigsmak New Member

Honesty..

Love it!

Thanks

14. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hey bud, welcome to CF :D

I giggled at Qs' quote..

Give self study a whirl and if that's not for you, maybe try local colleges?

Although the 'way of the board' is directed to self - study, that's not to say self - study is for everyone!
    Some people prefer to have their 'hand held' whilst studying, as their attention span is undesirable. But if you're self - motivated, organized, determined, commited, show empathy (<--uh oh I went into interview mode, my apologies hehe) you could save a fortune! $$$/&#163;&#163;&#163;

Best of luck with your studies mate :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  15. BosonMichael

True. But if they're not self-motivated, determined, or committed, they'll find it difficult in IT, and will usually get passed up by those who are. As techs, we're always learning something new, and usually on our own. Companies won't usually spend the money (or the time!) to send techs on training courses. So what will they do after they get hired? That is one of the main reasons why I advocate self-study. Learn how to self-study now... because one way or the other, you'll probably have to learn to do it at some point in your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

I completely agree with you there MB. I suppose I was just picking at the fact that there are other options to consider if for whatever reason self studying doesn't work out for OP. But I suppose sonner or later, and due to constant change in technology, the qualities used in self - studying go hand in hand with the qualities needed to succeed in I.T

WIP: MCDST
  17. BosonMichael

True. Don't get me wrong - I don't want to completely disrespect training classes. Certainly classroom-based training is a valid option, particularly when learning a subject that is particularly difficult. However, if one relies on classroom-based training simply because they don't have the motivation or self-discipline to study, that's a danger sign that perhaps IT isn't for them. The most successful techs are the ones who live and breathe IT, and can't wait to learn something new about their chosen field. (That said... those techs aren't always the most well-rounded individuals, often sacrificing social time for "geek time"... :p).

18. Qs

True dat ^^ *ahh I love that phrase*

Yep, geek time rocks. It has to be said.

Oh, Michael - because you didn't comment on the fact that Naive called you MB, I think that should be your new name. :p

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Your being smart and can study has nothing to do with why computeach are coming to see you. If you have the cash then you are eligable.

Also these people who come to your house tend to be sales people they are very good at assesing how much they can afford to charge people.

There was a thread here once can't remember if it was computeach or advent but in this thread two people were doing the same courses and getting charged different amounts. This is because one person was better off than the other.

If you self study you can't rip yourself off. All these places do anyway is give you some books and tell you to read them then they charge you for the privelage, why not self study and save yourself a heap of cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. BosonMichael

He might not want to equate me to a BM, ya know? That might just be a sign of respect! ;)