Heroes

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

A person without heroes is a person without goals and without a rudder in life. Your heroes say who and what you are really about. Who are your heroes?

Mine are, in no particular order:

Winston Churchill
    Abraham Lincoln
    Thomas Jefferson
    George Washington
    George Washington Lincoln Carver
    King Albert I of Belgium
    Daniel Boone
    Kit Carson
    Chief Joseph (Nez Perce)
    Cochise (Apache Chief)
    Tecumseh (Shawnee Chief)
    Sequoya (Cherokee Indian leader)
    Nate Thurmond
    Martin Luther

My Biblical heroes are:
    David
    Daniel
    Peter
    Elijah

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

define "hero"?

i definitely have people i respect for what they've done and said but does that class them as heroes?

hmmm. never really thought about it to be honest freddy... :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry freddy mine are all sports guys... when i was growing up sports played a big part of my life and the 3 i think were my hero's must have been:

Robbie Folwer - football (soccer)
    Nick Price - golf
    Pete Sampras - tennis

looks like from that you can get which sports i like!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. ffreeloader

Those people who, by the way they live/d their lives, have inspired you and created a desire in you to want to be like them in some aspects of your life. A person's heroes are the people who have greatly influenced the way you see the world. We all pattern our lives after someone, and whoever that person is, is a hero to us.

My heroes are all people who lived their lives with a spirit of independence. They all stood for something even if the tide of politics, the world in general, or the tradition of their role in life said they ought to be or act other than the way they lived their lvies. They all had great courage and stood up for principle even when it cost them dearly in politics, money, fame, or public opinion. They all had a definite moral compass which they followed no matter what the cost. They made a difference in the world for good even if their role was small at the time.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've never done the hero-worshipping thing, but there are people I admire in various walks of life. I see these more as people I'd like to meet - simply because they seem intersting enough to me to bother with. In no particular order, these are:

Ross Noble (British comedian)
    Will Self (British author)
    Robert O'Connor (American author)
    Linus Torvalds (for obvious reasons!)
    Mario Lemieux (Canadian hockey player)
    M. Night Shyamalan (American film director)
    Robert Bakker (American palaeontologist)
    Charles Darwin (British zoologist)
    Dorothy Parker (American journalist)
    Salvador Dali (Spanish artist)
    Dmitri Shostakovich (Russian composer)
    Alfred Hitchcock (British film director)
    Michio Kaku (Theoretical physicist & mathematician)
    Carl Sagan (American visionary astronomer)
    Humphrey Bogart (American actor)
    Angelina Jolie (American actress)
    Jeff Buckley (American musician)
    Joaquin Rodrigo (Spanish composer)
    Peter Kay (British comedian)
    Edgar Codd (British DB Theroretician)
    Tamara de Lempicka (Polish artist)

Pretty diverse bunch!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I don't have any heroes, but I admire anyone who is very skilled/knowledgeable in their area(s) of expertise.
    Well I wouldn't necessarily say so. You don't have to have anyone to emulate, if you know what you want and where you're going.
    I have goals but no heroes. Perhaps I could say that books are my heroes...

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  7. ffreeloader

I have a sports hero in my list too. Nate Thurmond was a basketball player, a center for the San Francisco Warriors. He never recieved much publicity but I consider him to be the greatest defensive center of all time. Kareem Abdul Jabbar said the same thing about him. He said that Thurmond was the best defender he ever played against and that Nate actually played defense. He wasn't just out there trying to intimidate, push, shove, play mind games and physically beat up his opponent. Nate played the game the right way and was highly respected because of it by his peers.

He is the one player most basketball fans have never heard of who was chosen as one of the 50 greatest basketball players of all time. The one exploit of his I'll never forget was the night he blocked three consecutive dunks by Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt went up for a dunk and Nate blocked it. Wilt got the ball back and went up again. Nate blocked it again. The Lakers got the ball back, fed Wilt again, and Wilt went up for a third time only to have Nate block it yet again. It was an incredible sequence of plays in less than 20 seconds and it has stuck with me for more than 30 years. Chamberlain *never* had his dunks blocked and Nate blocked 3 in a row.

8. ffreeloader

We all, including you, pattern our lives after the things we see that we like and admire. That isn't hero-worship. That's human nature. As we grow up, as we simply live life every day, we either consciously or subconciously adapt into our lives things that see in other people's lives that we find to be of real value.

Ever observed a little tyke following his big brother around? He will copy his big brother in everything he sees. As he grows older and begins to think for himself he will retain only those parts of his big brothers behavior that he finds to be of value. But, for the rest of his life, even if he and his brother grow apart, he will retain the things of value that he saw in his big brother's life. He has subconciously, or conciously, been greatly influenced by someone who was his hero. That is pure human nature at work. We all do it for we all have human nature. We are all governed by human psychology.

Having heroes is not hero-worship. They are two separate things. The first is natural and a part of every human beings life. The second is unnatural and will not allow the victim of it to recognize, and reject, the flaws in the object/s of its obsession.

9. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

spot on :D

A person without heroes is a person without goals and without a rudder in life is a statement that I find over the top :rolleyes: but if I had to choose a hero it would be my mum without a shadow of doubt.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Mine and my wife's parents, and our daughter.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. ffreeloader

Excellent choices for heroes.

I would say a lot of people ought to see their parents as heroes. Why? Because if their parents hadn't been who they are/were, that person would not have become the person they are. If the love and care of parents, and the way good parents can teach values such as self-discipline and self-control, are not characteristics worthy of being thought of as part of being hero to someone I don't know what is.

A person's heroes do not need to have changed the world, they just need to have made a major impact for good in that person's life.

This is why I say if a person doesn't have heroes they are going to be rudderless and without direction. Heroes have major impacts for good in people's lives, and if someone lives their entire life without anyone making an impact for the good in their life, they will never learn what it takes to be a contributing part of society. Their life will be one without direction. They will be like a rudderless ship.

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm with Gavin on this coz it's true:

My wife, my parents, my wife's parents, both of my kids, certain Aunts and Uncles and some close friends both past and present.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

My Top Ten:

1. Jesus - no explanation needed
    1.5 My wife - without her, who knows where I'd be...
    2. My father - tirelessly, honestly worked, yet never complained
    3. My mother - battled the loss of a child, a husband, and survived cancer
    4. Marlee Trager - an irrepressibly cute child battling a very harsh disease
    5. Paul and Mathew - anyone can be redeemed
    6. Luke - quietly doctored and chronicled the early church
    7. Job - the epitome of faith
    8. Various persons in history (Mother Theresa, Lincoln, etc.)
    9&10 Basically anyone that would put the welfare of others above their own out of empathy, compassion and love

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bill Gates...

:salut :soz

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Heroes... mainly RL and literary for me.

My boyfriend continues to stun me every day. In good ways. And my family are a bedrock that can never be moved. And my sister is inspirational, in a way only sisters can be.

Also,

Grace Nicholls (black female poet)
    Graham Greene (bows)
    Richard Kelly (wrote and directed Donnie Darko)
    Catullus (Latin poet - mind bendingly awful, but sometimes thought provoking)
    Terry Goodkind, Katharine Kerr (American authors)
    Metallica (for their lyrics)
    and my English teachers. Who inspire.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA