Here's a newone from AOL

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 4, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'll do some reseach, I may just go for the cheapest one available then I'll have no way to complain when it goes down.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think the cheapest is 02, IF you have a mobile with them, looking on adslguide, sorry thinkbroadband they seem to have good reviews.

And yes if you have a BT line you should be able to get Zen, im on a BT line, and i can get Zen

http://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/ZenBroadband.aspx

use the Can I get Broadband? thing to check out if you actually can get zen, id be very surprised if not

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just as a note, the issue you have isnt really an issue, Your router connects to the aol adsl service for you which is why you dont need the aol software loaded to open IE or firefox etc. The AOL software should be configured to use TCP/IP connection only and any reference to a modem should be removed as you dont use one (at least not in the way AOL software thinks you might). I cant quite remember the proceedure for AOL software but its something to do with the expert setup options.

The AOL software of course logs into the AOL service as well which only really seems to be of use to the AOL mail applet these days.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah have a look at O2. I recently switched to O2 when I upgraded my phone and I now get up to 8MB unlimited for £2.50 a month.

The router they send you is totally locked down and you can't really do much with it. I wouldn't be using it if my Zyxel hadn't packed up during a firmware update! lol

I did find the service kept dropping out after about a month or so, but their customer services were very helpful when I called (for free off my mobile) and knew what they were talking about. They increased the noise margin on the line and I haven't had any problems since.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I know it really isn't an issue but I am getting dodgy connection speeds again and it's doing my head in.

O2 say I can get it but not the proper O2 service, whatever that is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?