Here's a funny one

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Theprof, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I get a ticket regarding a virtual machine not being accessible... all of the vm's are just running on the esx host also no vcenter or anything like that.

I log in and start looking a the VM trying to figure out what the problem might be. Then all of a sudden I start seeing VMs shutting down, unfortunately the user ID was not logged. Once the VM's shut down, the ESX host lost all communication so I could not connect to it. I called the client right away incquiring why this has happened. The end result? one of the programmers ended up loging on to the ESX console and running a reboot command, which in turn forced all the VM's to shut down before powering off the host. What a morning!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I knew you were going to say that's what caused that. We had one, shares missing. Checks DFS and found some shares could not be accessed but checking the ESX Host, all seemed fine. Guests were fine, had users accessing shares etc. Long story short, the site had an arranged powerdown the weekend before and when the electricians were powering all the kit back up, they forgot to power up the SCSI attached storage devices we have at large sites. We learned from it though, if you loose an attached device like that Windows and vCenter just forget it existed. No errors for missing datastores or inaccessible drives in Windows. I've since labelled all of these Hosts in vCenter. I then wrote a nifty PowerCLI script that took an extract from AD and pasted it into the Notes field for all the Guests.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

...get used to programmers doing crazy stuff like that! :)

Other examples

“I decided to chuck SQL Server on the DC”
    “I need domain admin rights for my development work”

….and finally…..

“..I’ve broke my own machine can you fix it….”

All good fun :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

My favourite one from one of our coders was during a memory upgrade rollout for all our dev pcs from 1-2GB to 4Gb. A couple of Devs are tech savy and one said he'd do his just to leave it on the side while he finished up.

Yeah you know what happened next, 5 mins later a phone call saying memory don't work.

I pop round and take a look, he's managed to get the memory the wrong way round and only half in the slot and obviously a power up is failing. Somehow he managed not to fry the memory stick or the mobo, a re-seat, alot of laughing and all ok.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??